Deck drain is petrified

roccaas

1970 model, last wet in 1973. Cannot remove the bronze deck drain plug from the hole for love or money. Foam is dry because the boat sat in a garage from 1973 until a few weeks ago.

If I cut out an inspection port to install a hiking strap (and hide a few beers), will this be sufficient to drain any residue when the boat is upside down hanging from the garage ceiling? Just leave the bronze as is for future archaeologists to discover and ponder over??

I removed mine and replaced it with a plastic one. took about 10 minutes.
91085-1.jpg

Beckson model DP10B drain plug. [looks like the one posted above]

I gently pry the old plug off with a chisel--prying from several directions. Then trace a circle over the old hole--a bit closer to the edge so it drains better, and use a dremel tool with drum sander to open it up for a snug fit.

Fastened with two (2) 3/16 rivets, bedded and the rivet hole sealed in 4200.

I've done this to seven Sunfishes. The bronze drains always seize up. I hate them.

yup, that's all there is to it, tho I used a big round wood file to increase the hole size and used screws instead of rivets

Mine was seized when I got it. Penetrating oil for about 15 minutes, then the proper sized screw driver (big as will still fit in the slot and seat at the bottom of the slot). Presto.

But the change equipment looks very good too! Winter project? Cheers, Winever.

The bronze plug stays in place with two small pins. just push the pins inside with a nail and a hammer, the plug will eventually pop out.

Back