Damage to mast lip

Wafoo

My boat has damage to the mast lip,where the mast goes into its hole,it's chipped and througth to the GRP layers,Gelcoat all gone.
I've tried repairs here a couple of times but they always seem to fail,it doesn't seem to stick and peels away from the repair site.
I used a strong epoxy resin which seemed to work for a while,then noticed that was peeling away as well,I removed that and used a GRP repair kit which we use at work,same thing,does anyone have any ideas of what to reapir it with,maybe some Gelcoat?

It sounds like you need roughen up and thoroughly clean the area you are trying to cover. After you roughen up the area (80 grit sandpaper), blow out the dust and wipe it down with acetone.

At that point, any of the above should bond permanently

Hi,
related how big the damage is, this thread may help you:
http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=4239

Last day of sailing in Oct 2006, I sailed my Laser in winds of forces 6 with choppy waves, 2-blocked, 120%-vang for a couple of legs with course "on the run". Aft returing to land, there was no crack (not even hair-cracks) to be seen at the repaired area.

If the dammage is heavier at your boat, the "only-gelcoat-repair" won't help. You need to reinforce the deck to hull joint with layer(s) of fibre-glass. It is a usual repair the Laserstore in western-GER is able to do and surely at your region at GB.

It's courious, but I think, this damage has a significant likelihood for Laerhulls (like yours and mine) produced at PSE Banbury/Oxfordshire....

Ciao
LooserLu

Hey Buddy, If the chip is fairly big and deep, l feel you should repair it with polyester resin mixed with chipped fiberglass. Clean well before applying the mixture which should be thick. And before applying the mixture put a 2"
tape aound the hole, so that your repair will not sink into the hole. Wish you luck!
Bosco, laser 3113

Back