Damage in hull at top of slot for dagger

H2OLOO

My 1975 hull has a V worn at top of dagger board slot and is eating into new plastic dagger board. The slot itself seams ok. Is there a bracket made to stop forward movement of dagger at this location? I sail in shallow areas so I sometime hit bottom with dagger board. Any ideas are appreciated. John

John,

As far as I know, there is no Sunfish class legal bracket that would cushion the forward edge of the dagger board, but you could probably solve the problem by filling the "V" you describe with thickened epoxy and then reshapping it into the proper "U" shape with sandpaper wrapped around a wood dowel of the proper curve OR you could epoxy in a little strip of indoor/outdoor carpet around the "V" and get the desired cushioning effect.

As for sailing your new plastic board in shallow water, be very careful as the tips of these boards tend to crack off if you hit a rock or even sand. Make sure you have a good shock cord on the board that allows you to raise it and keep it raised and then be sure to raise it when sailing in shallow water. I have a little cottage industry going repairing tip damaged plastic boards and I think I am up to six boards repaired so far.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Some thick soft side heavy duty Velcro works best, after you have patched any excessive wear. You can get to at Lowes or Home depot.

Larry

Back