Daggerboard box

altair

What is the best product for lining the daggerboard box? I have heard anything from pipe insulation foam to thick tape. Just curious to know what is the most popular product.

I used heavy duty sticky back velcro. The soft side of the velcro. I got it at Wallyworld. It comes in a 3 or 4' piece, don't really remember. I put it at the top and bottom of the trunk on the leading and trailing edge and also a piece in the middle at the top and bottom, both sides of the trunk. So I think that's 4 pieces on the top and 4 on the bottom. The pieces are only about 2" long. Wipe the area down with acetone or alcohol to make sure all wax and dirt is off. I have had mine on for 2 years and the action is still smooth like butta.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Good advice, Tim. Altair just test to see that what ever you put in will allow the board to go up and down before you permanently attach it. I have seen it happen to several sailors just before a regatta thay find out the board will not fit. OH NO!!!!!!!

Hi, I'm a newbie, just bought my 82 sunfish last night, though I've sailed centerboard boats for years. Is the purpose of lining the trunk to limit/prevent movement of the daggerboard?

this duty sticky back velcro is to protect the daggerboard from scratches on the boat? as some sailors do it on the laser? I have the same on my laser daggerboard trunk and it has worked perfectly my daggerbaord is like new without any scatches...

Back