Daggerboard and Rudder

citabria131

Hello everybody. I recently acquired a Sunfish sailboat that I began restoring, but it’s in pretty rough condition and it is missing some vital components. A friend gave me the hull, and then through talking, I located a mast and sails, the only parts I don’t have are the rudder and daggerboard. I was planning on making these from scratch, but I can’t find any plans online. My question is; where can I find detailed plans that give enough dimensions to build these parts? It would be preferable if they were free online or if someone could send me a set of plans via e-mail. Thanks a lot, and I hope someone can help me out with this.

Thanks for the site Wavedancer, it looks like there are enough dimensions to make both parts. One thing that was not specified though was the type of wood that should be used. I read somewhere that Mahogany is a good choice, but I just wanted to make sure. Also, I took a look at the mast, and I realized that it is the wrong size. The mast measures 2” in diameter and is 12’-8” long, and the booms measure 1.5” in diameter and one is 12’ long and the other is 13.7” long. They are definitely not for a sunfish, but I can’t figure out what they belong to. Thanks for your help.

The most current one (which is made out of foam when bought in a store) is the favorite among racers.

The most current daggerboard, "racing daggerboard," is a composite board. It is steel reinforced, foam core, composite material.

If you're only going to be day sailing, if you make a board that is close to the dimensions of this blade, you'll have wonderfully adequate performance. This is a very simple boat and the speed differential is not notable by a recreational sailor. You won't gain .25 knot. You will have better acceleration than with one of the older, smaller styles of daggerboards. It's just not a huge difference.

I've always wondered if a D-I-Y board builder couldn't make a blade out of the appropriate thickness of plywood, seal it with epoxy, then coat it with a few layers of fiberglass, perhaps install stainless rod on the leading and trailing edges and epoxy them in place so the wood doesn't get broken up by unintentional groundings, and develop a low maintenance recreational use daggerboard ... Food for thought!

One thing that was not specified though was the type of wood that should be used. I read somewhere that Mahogany is a good choice, but I just wanted to make sure.

Al Court, who is knowledgeable about these sorts of issues, recommended African or Central American mahogany (expensive, I think):

http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=1085

You can use the Search function with 'mahogany' as input and find additional threads on this topic.

PS: did you see that several daggerboards are offered for sale on this forum?

"...I've always wondered if a D-I-Y board builder couldn't make a blade out of the appropriate thickness of plywood..."
As an alternative to mahogany, I've substituted marine plywood as lee boards on my sailing Grumman canoe and Folbot kayak. Even with the two leeboards down, plywood turned out to be a bit "bendy". It's probably not the right material for going to windward in a strong wind: for other points of sail, it is probably OK.

Ok, I’ll pick up some mahogany board at the lumber store. You are right wavedancer, the mahogany is not cheep. The wood for the daggerboard will be about $35 , and the rudder won't be much cheaper. As far as getting a rudder cheek, where is the cheapest place to get one? I was looking on www.sunfishsailboats.com and they were over $60, this seems like a lot of money for just a plastic part. Thanks for all your help so far.

I'd make them out of cheaper wood...clear pine or similar. Maybe even a couple pieces laminated together. Fair out the edges and then cover the thing in a layer or two of glass cloth with west epoxy. Paint it your favorite color and you will have a cheap, strong and low maintenance board/rudder.

I made my rudder and cheek out of yellow pine and exterior plywood. The dagger board is also pine.I got an aprox.for the shape and size from a pix of the boat.
Shock cord on the leading edge of the rudder going up to a hook on the tiller keeps it down while underway ,but allows the rudder to kick up if it hits somthing.(I dont race so being leagle is not a big issue for me).I am going to try to attach a couple of pix.If it dont work call me anything you want except collect.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 64
  • p1010002.jpg
    p1010002.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 58
I took a look at the mast, and I realized that it is the wrong size. The mast measures 2” in diameter and is 12’-8” long, and the booms measure 1.5” in diameter and one is 12’ long and the other is 13.7” long. They are definitely not for a sunfish, but I can’t figure out what they belong to. Thanks for your help.

I would guess your mast and spars are for a minifish. It was a Sunfish-like boat with a slightly smaller sail. I believe they were made by Alcort when they also made Sunfish.

Back