cunningham upgrade kit- gimme a break

1sailor

Went to install the new kit. Admittedly, I am stupid in general but jeez, no instructions whatsoever?

And no pictures either.

Oh yeah, there's the picture on the outside of the box but in that picture, the guy sailing DOESN"T EVEN HAVE THE UPGRADED STUFF !!

Anyone else notice this ??

I looked at the picture behind the front page of the last Laser Sailor magazine. Colie has an ad that has a great picture of how the blocks are mounted. Then I went to a regatta, studied the other boats and modified accordingly.

Rob B said:
I looked at the picture behind the front page of the last Laser Sailor magazine. Colie has an ad that has a great picture of how the blocks are mounted. Then I went to a regatta, studied the other boats and modified accordingly.

yes, I can look at other boats over at the YC but it seemed silly that the photo on the box depicted a sailor not using the product that is contained IN the box....

You are lucky in the USA. As far as I know (correct me if I am wrong) your upgrade is single line going through the sail connected to two double blocks which gives a ten to one system.
(I personally feel that this is too powerful and you end up with too much rope in the boat when fully on).

Here in the UK the upgrade is the same piece of line going through the sale connected to a cascade of two single blocks, giving eight to one.

At least your system works ours is rubbish and runs out of movement long before the sail has been put under any real tension. HOW CAN THE UK LASER CENTRE KEEP SELLING SUCH A BADLY THOUGHT OUT SYSTEM?

Most people I know use a six to one (I think also advocated by Steve Cockerel and Dr Laser) which is similar to the US system but with two single blocks. It seems to give about the right power to rope in the boat ratio.

Phil

what do you expect to get for your $200??? a picture, instructions? that would probably increase their price by another $50 or more.

Get real, Vanguard knows a good thing when they have one, screw the buyers with parts that are more expensive than Mercedes parts. Why spend any more than you have to with packaging.

Vanguard laughs all the way to the bank. Monopolies are grand!

because they know you will buy it! doesnt every competative boat have the upgrades? yaa.. but its to hard to explain how to rig it look at other peoples boats thats how i got mine. or ask someone usualy sailors are freindly.

I thought that I was the only one that was having trouble. Thank goodness you said something. I was thinking that I must be the most lame laser sailer that has ever lived.

iain_CAN165061 said:
cant you just cut off sum of the line that goes through the cringle of the sail at the tack?

No the UK system has the line coming through the sail then a cascade of two times 2:1 using lots of line and two single blocks. It is the two single blocks that bunch up and stop you applying more tension.

Phil

I'm not sure why you are all making such a big deal of this. Is it honestly THAT hard to put together? All it includes is two very different pieces of line and two double blocks, one with a becket on it.

All the upgraded kits Seacoast Marine sells comes with easy to follow step by step directions. If yours did not come with them than you should be upset with your dealer, not Vanguard...

Sorry Mac but I think that you are mistaken. I went through every box at the dealer and none of them (8-10) had instructions. This is the kit that comes from Vanguard with the Laser logo on the box. I am not sure who their supplier is. I know that you rebuild lasers and so you are more than competent in the workings of the rigging, but for a novice like myself it is a real headache. Please feel free to post a legible schematic that could help some of the less fortunate that don't have your expertise.

I made a really sweet looking diagram with Microsoft paint, but I can't for the life of my figure out how to post it here...

go to 'post reply'. than further down the reply page it says 'additional options' and inside that box 'manage attachments'.... click and proceed

Back