Crossing boarder to buy a used boat

fatstratblond

Has anyone bought a used boat from USA and crossed to Canada, were there any problems, Charges. Taxes I want ot buy a used laser Pro but there are none that I can find in Ontario, there are A few to choose from states side If I can save 2 or 3 thousand it might be worth my while to take a 4 or 5 hour drive.

I am currently going through the process myself. If you are buying just the boat, you shouldn't have any problems. You will need a title certificate from the owner and a bill of sale to present to Canada Customs and you will be required to pay GST and PST on entry into Canada.

If you are also buying a trailer to transport the boat, the degree of complexity goes up, since trailers are considered vehicles and will need to be licensed in Ontario. I recommend that you visit the registrar for imported vehicles at:
http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html
and follow up with phone calls to them and to Canada Border Services Agency before proceeding. Good Luck!

Roger

Thanks for the reply, What would A "tittle certifacate" be for a laser ? I already have a boat trailer plate but I will look into it ,

I'd just say I went to USA to race, cross on a Sun night. Or sail with us tomorrow on Lake Champlain, then go home. !8+ today, just right for your new boat, lol.

We cross all the time from Vt. Just say, "going sailing and/or home from sailing".

Join the long tradition of smugglers, but don't quote me....

Back