Crazy Crazy Question

James W.

(yes, I'm crazy, but here it goes)....

I really like the Force 5 hull- but not the rigging so much (mast setup, all the controls, etc.)
I really like the Sunfish rigging (lateen, etc.) but not the hull so much.
I would like to have the best of both worlds. I like lateen rig for myself and my kids
and ocassionally would like to rig the F5 sail.

Has anyone ever done a Frankenhack with this? I wonder if a Sunfish mast will
be ok in an F5 step? Will it cause different stress points in the step and compromise
the intergrity of the step, etc. It seems like it would work to me. I do know that the
OD of the F5 mast base is 2.5 in.

Any input (other than telling me I'm crazy- I already know this) will be greatly appreciated.

James :)

...add on...

also, I've been wrestling for over a year on primary use/purpose of the boat. I think
I've finally figured it out. The 3 things that I know (after MUCH, much thought) are
1. My kids (and me) are not racing (at least currently)
2. I want the boat for my kids and myself
3. I love sailing and want them to be able to pusrue it- if they take interest

If it were JUST for my kids, I would go with Sunfish only
If it were JUST for me, I'd go Frankenhack

Also, honestly, the Sunfish is more accessable, much more efficient rigging design,
easier to set up in a blow, which means more efficient (easier) getting it on the water,
which means MORE SAILING and MORE EXERCISE (= getting on the water and having fun).

James W.

Go for it. Some of the differences will be mast diameter. The Sunfish is 2.25" dia. x 10 ft long. You might tr using the F5 lower mast as the gooseneck may still fit the larger diameter mast. The other difference is the amount of bury of the mast. The Sunfish having less bury (mast inside the hull).

Thanks for the info Sailcraftri. I think I'm gonna have to get the sunfish spars and lines and just slap it
all on the F5 and see how it all sits. Then I'll take notes and measurements. It just doesn't seem like it
would be that hard (famous last words- right??) :)

It will certainly make memories...."Remember when dad built that boat out of two boats?" So be sure to take pictures :)

Next up, a sailing canoe?

Fair winds
Kent

It will certainly make memories...."Remember when dad built that boat out of two boats?" So be sure to take pictures :)

Next up, a sailing canoe?

Fair winds
Kent

I was just about to put my kayak sailing kit on Craigslist. Sail, spars, rudder, combination leeboard / mast step crossbar, two sets of leeboards for "experimenting". It would work for canoe, kayak—and with a little handiwork—a Sunfish. (Originally for a Folbot kayak). :) The sail is small—only about 45 square feet, but it can save the effort of paddling especially long distances.

This is me and the rig—which easily outlasted the hull!

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/photopost/data/502/medium/P8130087-004.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Everyone, THANKS much for your input. Will definitely post picks of Frankenstein.
Hey Light and Variable Winds, I saw the pic- that's a cool looking rig !!! :)

Back