Cracked mast step

Demeter

Hi. Has anyone run into mast step repairs. After some very rough weather at dock, i have discovered circomfrencial cracks in my mast step. So bad that they deform with just the weight of the mast. Im not intimidated by glasswork, but tend to dig myself into big jobs when they appear as small ones. Im preparing to sepperate the hull/deck joint in order to facilitate this repair. If anyone has any pointers, their input would be extremely valuable. Thanks.

Stop! Don't pull the deck off. We've tackled these before without such drastic measures and I'm thinking we might be able to with yours as well. Got a digital camera. Pictures tell thousands of words.

Jim

Wow that was close

I do have a camera, But it will take about three days to get to the shop, take a few good photos, and get them posted. Thanks for the interest. Im already feeling better.

Mast step repair on older Capri.

I was given an older C14 last year for a kids program. Sail # 1977. This is a open bow boat. There was a large rip/crack, port to starboard, in front of the mast step plate that allowed the mast to move anywhere it wanted. I removed the step and cut out a square area under the plate that was approx 10 inch long by 8 inch wide. Under this area was blocking that spanned the area from the lower hull up to the bottom of the cockpit floor. This dunnage was meant to support the mast plate. There was a solidified mastic compound that spanned the area from the top wooden block to the cockpit floor. This mastic was poorly applied at the factory and had slumped off to the side thus not supporting the floor under the mast step.
I replaced/renewed the upper blocking and added large pieces of 3/4 inch exterior plywood in lieu of the mastic. These plywood pieces were the widest that I could fit in by sliding them side to side to get them in the opening. When these were in place I screwed them in place with screws that went deep into the lower blocks. I then glassed over the entire repair with multipule fiberglass mats and then remounted the mast plate. I mounted the plate with large screws that went 2 1/2 inches into the blocking.
It looks very professional and is much stronger than it has ever been.
Ray

Back