Control lines cleat problem

Rob Baker

My problem is that I have just taken off the old-fashioned downhaul cleat on a 1988 Laser which I've acquired. I have gone to put on the new double clamcleat but found that the screws will not fully tighten. The wood under the fibreglass also extrudes (and appears rotten) when I unscrew the screws.
I would be very grateful for any advice as to how I can ensure the screws fit tight. Should I put in some wood hardener, or epoxy? If so should I drill out a hole to put this in first or just use the existing screw holes?

Hello Rob,
Hopefully the whole wooden block is not rotten, I had the same problem with my 93 when I changed out the fittings. What I did was drill out the holes to the next larger screw size and then filled them with epoxy and kept filling them until it didn't go down any more. I was hoping the epoxy would soak into the wood. I then let it harden overnight and re-drilled the hole and reset the screws. I would still caution you not to over tighten them, just snug them and a 1/4 or 1/2 turn more. Of course it goes without say coat the screw threads and put a bead of silicone around the base area of the cleat before you install it.
So far it is holding just fine.
Good luck and best regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Use bigger guage screw as i think that you might have stripped the thread or the wood underneath is rotten.

If you have an inspection hatch near by you can through bolt them. Try to get some epoxy in the hole first to seal off the wood and use a large washer underneath if the wood is soft. Just use the largest stainless bolt that will fit and use a locking nut if possible. This method will be the most secure, and don't forget to use some caulking.

Good Luck

It does not bother me, but I think through bolting here is not class legal.

Flying Monkey said:
If you have an inspection hatch near by you can through bolt them. Try to get some epoxy in the hole first to seal off the wood and use a large washer underneath if the wood is soft. Just use the largest stainless bolt that will fit and use a locking nut if possible. This method will be the most secure, and don't forget to use some caulking.

Good Luck

First of all, yes it is illegal to throughbolt (in case you are concerned about that).
Epoxy is good, but don't let it run down through the hole: if you have an inspection-hatch put some tape on the underside of the hole, so that it remains where it is supposed to be. If you don't have access to it, try to fill the bottomside of the hole with silicone before putting the epoxy in there. If you do not do this, you will end up puttin a lot of extra in your hull.
Good luck!

Gerard

Rob Baker said:
My problem is that I have just taken off the old-fashioned downhaul cleat on a 1988 Laser which I've acquired. I have gone to put on the new double clamcleat but found that the screws will not fully tighten. The wood under the fibreglass also extrudes (and appears rotten) when I unscrew the screws.
I would be very grateful for any advice as to how I can ensure the screws fit tight. Should I put in some wood hardener, or epoxy? If so should I drill out a hole to put this in first or just use the existing screw holes?

First off use the larger hole / epoxy method others are suggesting but try to dry the area out using a hair dryer for several minutes after drilling the larger holes. Then I would suggest you use 3M 5200 on the base (don't get any in the cleat mechinism) as 5200 is a sealer and adhesive so it will give you added holding power..Scott

Hi Mickey,
Thank you, and to everyone else who replied. I did try what you suggested, unfortunately I couldnt have mixed up the epoxy correctly in the plastic syringe which I used, and it just mushed up when I went to drill it the next day. I then tapped in a wooden chopstick section into both holes and drilled out a hole for the screws which then went in tight. I am told that this won't last long, but will just have to see.
Thanks, Rob.

fishingmickey said:
Hello Rob,
Hopefully the whole wooden block is not rotten, I had the same problem with my 93 when I changed out the fittings. What I did was drill out the holes to the next larger screw size and then filled them with epoxy and kept filling them until it didn't go down any more. I was hoping the epoxy would soak into the wood. I then let it harden overnight and re-drilled the hole and reset the screws. I would still caution you not to over tighten them, just snug them and a 1/4 or 1/2 turn more. Of course it goes without say coat the screw threads and put a bead of silicone around the base area of the cleat before you install it.
So far it is holding just fine.
Good luck and best regards,
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

Back