Complete Newb Needs A Lot Of Advice

Acelliott

Hi
I have windsurfed for many years
So I like to think I know the wind and the water well and under stand beating, reaching and running,
I gave up windsufing when my kids took up all my time.
Now they are between 9-13 I thought I would find a way we could enjoy the water together
I live 400 yards from I nice bay that enjoys on shore winds most of the time
I wanted to have a sail boat small enough for me to launch myself but that could take an extra passenger
So I have bought a laser 2 fun, with the understanding it is a little tamer than the full on Laser 2
and as I weigh 13-14 stone the weight for solo sailing should also be ok

So My question is what are the big mistakes I have made and is it silly to try to teach yourself to sail in a laser 2 single handed,
I assume I will need to control the rudder, main and jib all at the same time ?
is there a way around this?
Please note, I will not be sailing in any wind speeds over 8 knotts to start with and I am not looking for amazing speed and efficiency when learning
will I need additional equipments to "cleat the jib" etc
and try to stick to language that would be understood by a newby ty

I am thinking my best bet will be to do a two hour taster session at my local club, Im sure they will allow me to use my boat

this way they can show me around my boat, get me sailing and show me the thinks I should practice

You have given yourself good advice.

If I were in your shoes, I would initially just sail with the main to get a feel for the boat. Once you become a bit comfortable, add the jib. Fully rigged, the boat will perform better, obviously; especially tacking will become a lot easier.

yea, but your boat will start to luff more easy by itself because there is no jib to counteract this.

So She will sail fine without the jib??
I can just leave it at home till I'm happy to add it ??

It won't point as high, will probably have some weather helm, and obviously won't be as fast. However, it will be less tippy and much easier to control. Perfectly fine to knock about the lake without the jib and learn the feel of the boat.

So She will sail fine without the jib??
I can just leave it at home till I'm happy to add it ??

One word of caution if you are going to sail without a jib.
The wire in the jib and the jib halyard is normally tensioned to support the mast whilst sailing to resist (amongst other things) the forces of the mainsheet and vang. So not using the jib, means you are relying on the forestay to keep the mast up. Normally the forestay wire is attached to the bow by a thin piece of line, so if you are going to sail without the jib, I would recommend that you get the forestay as tight as possible before you pull the mainsail up, and make sure that there is a decent piece of rope used and it is well knotted to the bow eye.

If the forestay breaks, there is nothing to stop the mast falling down, and if it is too slack your sailing will be difficult as you will not be able to sheet the main in properly, and the boom will be bashing your head in tacks and gybes.

So I guess I'll keep it on and just manage, Im sure in light wind in the sea with very little to no obstacles I'll have plenty of time to plan and practice

You can put the jib on then wrap it around itself. Basically furl the jib without a rolling furler. You will have the correct for stay tension, and you will be able to sail with just a main.

Back