Compass Repair?

sorosz

I have one of the Silva/Nexus 103R compasses that is broken and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it.

The compass card itself is what's broken. The lens and housing are fine. It appears that the pin that supports the card has come loose from the base so the card is askew and the lubber lines are out of whack and the whole mess moves around inside the compass. No doubt this is due to the inordinate amount of time I spend capsized and turtled.

I tried the obvious solution of trying to wiggle and jiggle it to get the pin back in the little hole it's supposed to be in but I always sucked at those games where you try to get the ball into the hole. . .

Is there anyway to open this sucker up (without destroying it) and put everything back in place and then refilling it with fluid? In addition to being uncoordinated enough to capsize so much that I broke my compass, I'm also too cheap to want to lay out another $200 to buy a new one. . .

Thanks in advance.

-Steve

As far as I know there is no way to crack open that type of compass. I use the same one. If I were you, I'd try calling nexus and badgering them into giving you a new one. Probably won't work but it's worth a shot.

Back