Comparing old sail performance to new sail performance

Chainsaw

Brmmm Brmmm
I took my new sail out in 15 - 20 knots yesterday and noted some differences from my old sail.

Overall, there seems to be a much smaller margin of error for efficient sail shape. The most critical being the areas controlled by the cunningham.

The major difference is that acceleration was dramatically improved, but whether overall speed was improved is debateable. I think this is because the flow exits the sail more easily, owing to a shape closer to a perfect aerofoil i.e. draft shallower and further forward, leech less closed. ( no big surprises there :rolleyes: )

but it was a surprise to see that the flow was less likely to adhere to the perfect shape of a new sail during momentary trimming or helming error . A new sail sure shows up slack helming.

Practically speaking, that increase in acceleration could make a dramtic improvement to your race results in gusty or puffy/light conditions, but you're not getting something for nothing.

....oh yeah, and the ability to point higher? No noticeable improvement.

When I bought a Laser last summer, it came with an old, old sail. I found it difficult to tack in stronger winds, leaving me in irons. With a newer sail, I find that it tacks much better. Of course it could be that I'm tacking better because I'm just getting used to the boat and has nothing to do with the sail.

Back