Coming Back to a Laser

nesdog

Hi all,

I had a Laser as my first boat back in 1975. Sailed it a lot until '84 when I got into beach cats. I've been sailing a Prindle 18 for over 20 years. However I also taught sailing at UCLA and had the run of our Laser fleet there.

However, most of my friends have left the cat world and I have to sail solo. It's a pain to right that boat alone and big winds are often less fun. so I'm thinking about selling the cat and finding a used full rig Laser.

I need a little push here! I like the speed of the cat. but recall getting some pretty good screaming reaches on the Laser. I just don't want to feel like I've gone back...naw...help convince me that I'll still get great performance, ease of righting (well, I already know that) and lots more days!

Thanks..

Well, here is the push :eek::
Everything you wrote is correct. For instance, screaming reaches are still fun. But most importantly, almost everywhere there will be others sailing Lasers. Serious competition is readily available; all the way to the Olympics. And if you want to go that route, staying in shape is highly recommended. Not a bad thing!

End of promotional message :D

Thanks! Doubt I'll end up racing though, just playing. I did a bit of that but can't say I was the best on the course! Definately staying in shape helps out. Thankfully I do lots of mile swims and cycling miles but the body is still 55 regardless (though the mind is 20).

The push helps. This is a huge decision point for me, but shouldn't be. I don't get enough days on the cat but figured I would get many more on the mono since I would sail in the winters like I used to because I wouldn't be quite so mindful of dumping. Heck, that was half the fun....

The push helps. This is a huge decision point for me, but shouldn't be.

It shouldn't be because you will be able to find a competitive laser for a great price. Also in the boat whisperer dvd, steve cockerill mentions that he likes sailing lasers because instead of just "blasting" through waves you get to surf them and play in the waves.

A lot of laser sailors love catching waves of screaming reaches

Yeah, as a surfer, I always thought the Laser was kinda like a big surfboard on the ocean. Hmm forgot about that.

(Then again, in all fairness, one of the most memorable days I ever had was one summer doing mile long broad reaches on the cat with a following swell and just ripping down the faces.)

Okay, I gotta start looking at local ads in Socal and see what's out there these days.

Well, started pricing used boats. Guess things have changed a bit as my 1st Laser in '75 was $995 brand new! I also notice way new gear, where the earlier boats had very simple hardware. Geez, look at the blocks!

I've been watching some Youtube videos of Laser sailing to see if I can get the proper mindset! ('cause I'm still waffling!)

Well, started pricing used boats. Guess things have changed a bit as my 1st Laser in '75 was $995 brand new! I also notice way new gear, where the earlier boats had very simple hardware. Geez, look at the blocks!

I've been watching some Youtube videos of Laser sailing to see if I can get the proper mindset! ('cause I'm still waffling!)

Well compared to the price of gas in '75 how does the percentage work out?

If you're planning on racing you should look for a boat with newer gear. You should be able to find something used and in decent shape for $2,500.00 or so.

If you're only going to day sail then nothing needs to change from '75 other than your new "used" boat will be slightly more expensive than the new '75 boat.

Since the boat went Olympic it has become a more physical boat by the pro's sailing them.

Again, unless you're going to race nothing needs to change from what you remember other than cost.

Gas in '75? I'd guess a buck or so. but my Camaro only got about 12 miles per gallon, I bet. Now there is something I'll do different than last time. I used to carry all the spars on the rooftop of the Chevy, wrapped up under a soft surfboard rack. Kind of a pain because they would start to wander! This time I'll get a deck mounting kit and stick 'em there!

I don't plan on racing at all, just playing. So I'm not concerned about high end gear. I'd likely just swap things out as warranted. And make sure the running surfaces are clean. And you are right, pricing on used boats with a trailer are just a bit more than 1K in spots.

You could dig for really accurate, really complete historical data.

But according to this snapshot of prices http://www.education-world.com/a_lesson/dailylp/dailylp/dailylp076.shtml

gas would have been 53cents a gallon in 75. I paid $2.50 this morning.

Anyhow, the bump you're looking for is to get to the ease and simplicity of sailing. You want to go sailing more. Get an old laser with the old style rig so it's easy and fast to get into the water. The simpler you make it on yourself to go sailing, the more often you'll do it.

A buddy of mine who's new to laser sailing called it well. He said: "Lasers scoot!"

wow....looking at a boat after work today. Hull is the same color as my original boat way back when. How's that for a complete circle? From what I hear, it should be in decent shape with a trailer. Hull is probably late 70's or early 80 at the latest. No upgrades on the hardware. Has a cover too. Anyone have an idea as to what is a fair price for this?

Not a great boat....grab rails were falling off, lots of dings and dent on the front desk, inspection port showed repairs to the mast step. I reached inside and got a big handful of extra fiberglass mat just hanging off the tube. Sail was totally blown out.

Oh well..keep on lookin!

Another option would be to get a catamaran which can be sailed singlehanded with ease. I own a Seaspray cat and it fits the bill perfectly. it's easy to sail alone and easy to right if you manage to tip it.
Get the laser too though.

Another option would be to get a catamaran which can be sailed singlehanded with ease. I own a Seaspray cat and it fits the bill perfectly. it's easy to sail alone and easy to right if you manage to tip it.
Get the laser too though.

Well, right now I'm going to see if I can find a decent Laser and also keep the cat. Assuming I can even find a boat quickly enough, I'll see which one I use the most this summer and then sell the other.

The Prindle is a great boat and I can single hand from the trapeze in winds up to high teens, although I'm happiest on it in breezes slightly less.

Righting alone, even with a pole, is tough though. I'm not familar with the Seaspray. There is a new tri that came out of OZ or NZ recently that is only 14' but looks like a pile of fun....but they are over 10K.

I just looked up the consumer price index to compare relative cost of a laser in 1972 to now. The CPI for 1972 was 40.1, today it is 214. A ratio of 5.3. Lasers cost $1000 then and cost $5400 now, a ratio of 5.4. So actually, in inflation adjusted dollars, They cost almost exactly the same. The good thing is that you can pick up a decent used one for a thousand bucks which is only 190 dollars in 1972 currency.

Barometer Soup

I just looked up the consumer price index to compare relative cost of a laser in 1972 to now. The CPI for 1972 was 40.1, today it is 214. A ratio of 5.3. Lasers cost $1000 then and cost $5400 now, a ratio of 5.4. So actually, in inflation adjusted dollars, They cost almost exactly the same. The good thing is that you can pick up a decent used one for a thousand bucks which is only 190 dollars in 1972 currency.

Barometer Soup

Wow, good digging! I'm hoping to find one in okay condition for 1K or slightly higher. One I just looked at was priced too high for its condition, unfortunately. Hopefully more will show up soon!

Bjmoose you payed $2.50 a gallon, in the UK its £4.46 a gallon that works out at $7.26 a gallon, our prices on the pumps got changed to liters because they must of thought the price in gallons looked too much.

Updating myself....geez having a tough time finding a boat around here. (L.A. area). It seems that most of the used boat market is in San Diego; not convenient but may end up being the only place to go. What's the story here?

Plus as I keep searching I'm back to waffling on keeping the cat. DON'T LET ME GO BACK TO THE DARK SIDE!

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm pleased to announce I have re-joined the Laser universe! Had to drive over 225 miles round trip to get a boat, though.

It's an '87 hull with full upgrades, two sails, two year old Trailex, top and bottom covers and everything reasonably clean. I'm hoping some time this week to take her out after work. whoo hooo!

Ok, dumb question on the trailer. My original Shoreline laser trailer years ago had bottom supports and all I did to load/unload was just run the boat up and on. With these rail supports, is it the same?

Also has anyone ever put a front wheel lift or set on a Trailex? I did this with my cat trailer so I would never have to lift the tongue off the hitch. Saves the back!

Yeah, you can still just back the trailer in, you jsut need to lift the bow off usually to get the boat off the rail supports.

I have a tongue wheel thing on my hobie 16 trailer, and love it, but the laser and trailer are so light i don't see the need, I just use a 5 gallon bucket under the tongue to store to keep water flowing off the boat.

I just bought an '07 Laser Pro with two sails, a Trailex trailer and both bottom and top covers and saved about $2500 over buying a new boat with the same bits. I competitively sailed the Hobie 16, 18 and Miracle 20 from 1978 to recently. I got out of Cats for the same reason you did; no crew. I live on a 22,000 acre man made lake that is basically a flooded river bottom and the incoming creeks. To say this place is fluky is the understatement of all time.

I find the Laser to be extremely satisfying to sail. It is physical but I can handle it and I just turned 52 today. I weigh about 190 pounds and that seems to help with the big puffs here on our lake. I plan on racing my boat as I have been in contact with some pretty good Laser sailors in the area and they have turned out to be very nice people full of information and eager to share it. I have learned more about properly sailing a Laser in the last two weeks than I did sailing a cat in the first two years. No kidding! The Laser clan reminds me of the good-old-days of Hobie sailing; sail hard for three hours after work and then cold beer, chips and salsa. Nothing better.

Good luck and have a blast.

Back