Coming about

Noah

I've just purchased a Laser Pro. My sailing experience includes: 4 yrs. AMF Force 5, 5 yrs Hobie 16 and 3 yrs C+C 27. Yet, I can't figure out how to come about smoothly in the Laser. The tiller extension seems too long. It gets caught on the traveler. Also, How do I make use of all the sail adjustments. There's no cleat for the mainsheet? I have been reduced to "beginners mind, " a very humbling experience. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.:eek:

Welcome to The Laser Forum Noah

Noah said:
I've just purchased a Laser Pro. My sailing experience includes: 4 yrs. AMF Force 5, 5 yrs Hobie 16 and 3 yrs C+C 27.Yet, I can't figure out how to come about smoothly in the Laser. The tiller extension seems too long. It gets caught on the traveler.
Your problem is probably you position in the boat, You need to sit almost all the way forward in the cockpit. You need to hold the tiller extension lightly and all the way at the end of it and in front of you. Kind of like a microphone.
Noah said:
Also, How do I make use of all the sail adjustments.
Depending if you have the control upgrades it will adjust differently. It sounds like you probably have the old rigging. But a good page for you to check out wiould be the laser forums Wiki at http://wiki.laserforum.org/index.php?title=General_Information
Noah said:
There's no cleat for the mainsheet?
You dont need them but if you feel the need you can get them at http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d90000/e88560.asp
Noah said:
I have been reduced to "beginners mind, " a very humbling experience. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.:eek:

It happens to the best of us.:)

Have fun and sail fast

yeah... i am just getting back into it mysellf & it does get easier every day.

watch the fast guys & see how they do it.

one thing... dont take the tiller extension behind you. take it in front through the area between the mainsheet as it goes to the block.

keep sailing!

Your suggestions are appreciated. I am sailing today. I'm hopeful. Still confused about mainsheet block/cleat. Which block gives maximum holding power w/o cleat? And is the Oxen block (redesigned) a good option?

I hate to admit it but I cannot come about smoothly. The tiller xt is a problem. I need a task analysis.

Is your problem that the extension "gets in the way" or that you find it tricky to change hands after the tack ?

I found the best practice for tacking smoothly was to not bother changing hands. You duck under the boom and push the extension in front of you, then turn around to face back towards the boom. As you turn around, leave the extension behind your back but adjust your hand position to get a "reverse" grip on the extension - steer with it behind your back and re-centre the rudder. The other hand just stays on the main sheet. Keep sailing with the extension behind your back. Practice this for a while just going back and forward using the same hand combination, then change hands and do it the other way. Eventually you get used to tacking without worrying about the tiller/extansion and concentrating on keeping your head up and doing the turn correctly.

Then start practicing changing the sheet/tiller hands once you're smoothly on the new tack.

I find this comes in really useful at the top mark when you're a bit low and need that last minute quick 2 tacks to get around (as I sadly find myself too often ).

then turn around to face back towards the boom. As you turn around, leave the extension behind your back but adjust your hand position to get a "reverse" grip on the extension - steer with it behind your back and re-centre the rudder. The other hand just stays on the main sheet.

Which way do you turn? Toward the front or back of the boat?

I have seen some people refer to facing back as they turn, but I always face the front - so I can see how the boat is turning. In fact as I simulate it while sitting here in the office, facing back wouldn't work with this method - the mainsheet hand would end up behind your back.

The weekend is here but it's raining so I'll try your suggestions on a couple of stools in the livingroom until I can get back on the boat.:confused:

The general rule of thumb for which way to turn is: If the mainsheet leads to your hand from the back of the boat (ie most cats and a lot of older traditional family dinghies) you should face the back of the boat, meaning you would step across with your front foot first.
If the mainsheet leads from forward, (as in a laser or most modern designs) you should always tack facing forward. :)

To do this, firstly take your back foot over the toestrap.
Start turning the boat into the wind, but stay sitting on the windward side, let out about 18" of mainsheet.

When the boat is about head to wind, and rolling towards you, make a dash for the other side, still holding the tiller and mainsheet in the old hands. Since the boat is still turning, and the tiller is well over, there should be loads of room for the extension to pass thru' before you do!
Aim to reach the new windward deck at about the time the mainsail is filling on the new side, with the old back foot (remember?) now under the toestrap near the front of the cockpit. ignore the other foot!

Park yourself, slightly twisted,;) on the new side, old tiller hand behind your back still holding tiller, and old mainsheet hand across in front of you, still holding mainsheet. Pass tiller to new hand, then mainsheet to new hand, and get sailing! Oh, and dont forget to sort out your feet!!:D

in time, you'll learn how much mainsheet you need to ease for any given wind/wave conditions, and how far to let the boat roll before you move to get the best pump out of the conditions. Generally, the lighter the air, the bigger the roll, and the breezier it is, the faster you can roll it.:cool:

Back