Come to the D22 Championship

Hi all - If you're up for a great vacation and some Laser racing in a spectacular spot, come to Flathead Lake in Montana Aug 18-19 for the D22 Grand Prix Championship at North Flathead YC. It is a 30 mile x 10 mile crystal clear lake, 400 feet deep, surrounded by mountains and in the shadow of Glacier National Park, about 45 miles away. The venue is at Somers, MT, at the far north end, near Kalispell.

It is fun informal racing with regulars and newbies, all ages. There may be 10 boats, there may be 25 (if you-all come). In the past, racers have come from Canada, Seattle, Portland, northern CA, and Idaho. The water is 70 degrees (unless you go down 10 feet!) and the air should be in the high 80's.

You could hike in Glacier Park a couple of days, experience the famous Going-to-the-Sun highway, take a whitewater raft trip, hit the Bigfork galleries and restaurants, then zip down the Columbia to race the D6 Championship the next weekend at Cascade Locks.

It's only $20, free camping, free dinner Sat night.
(I don't believe there are any stuffed bunnys or eggs or chocolate involved)

Contact Orrin Webber
[email protected]
406-755-1200

Thanks for your time-

Attachments

• Flatheadboats.jpg
    Flatheadboats.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 50
  • NFYCView.jpg
    NFYCView.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 44
  • flathead fog2.jpg
    flathead fog2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 46
  • RayVerlage_lr.jpg
    RayVerlage_lr.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 8 dock.JPG
    8 dock.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 11 sunrise moon.JPG
    11 sunrise moon.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 49
  • J273.jpg
    J273.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 37
Working on it.. AND Only if you guys won't laugh me off the lake with my OLD boat...
Impossible to laugh when I'm underwater with my boat upside down! When I went in '05, my old boat nearly sank.

what's the usual wind pattern this time of year? what's the likelihood of winds around 20 knots?
You'll have to ask Orrin or the NFYC locals - I have just have impressions from my few trips. 20 knots unlikely except in front of a thunderstorm or cold front. There is a nice early thermal that comes off the north shore / Flathead river delta, sometimes dies by noon. A southern thermal comes up the lake from the south mid-day. If it runs the length of the lake, there can be some long waves. An evening thermal comes off the west shore in the bay right near Somers, and there can be whitecaps. This lake seems to make it's own weather.

Hey MasterMike! There used to be a fair contingent coming up from Utah, as well (including me) back in the mid-90's or so. Don't know if anybody from there still goes or not.

It is a beautiful spot, and Orrin puts on a fantastic regatta for an incredibly low entry fee. Good food, and usually a donated keg of local micro-brew - the one I remember best was called "Moose Drool"

As described above, the winds can come from all directions because the lake does create thermals. Sometimes the RC schedules racing on Sunday morning at 8am, to catch the morning thermal. Arg, getting up that early was tough for me on a summer Sunday, I must admit.

OK somebody who has been sitting out way too long in Florida can come here with her hauling vehicle and pick up the five boat Austin trailer. We will loan her a boat. Hell, we will loan boat a boat that was NOT built by Vanguard to her friend AB if he comes.

Yeah, I was sitting out on my Melges last night with the aforementioned AB kibbitzing us all the way around the course. Six Melgi here now!

Wednesday we sat out on the bay on our Scot. Oh, and raced 4 races.

AB is flying his glider up in Zephyrhills tomorrow. No time to drive to Montana and back, that would be too much sitting IN a car fer me - even for Orrin's fantastic regatta.

Thanks for the note, dyz! We moved back here from Seattle in '98, although we've been visiting my wife's parents north of the lake for many years. I've heard they used to have quite a turnout. I'm hoping to put D22 back on the map. Flathead is just a fantastic place. In the early summer it's turquoise from all the glacial runoff. You feel lucky to be alive in the middle of that lake.

Moose Drool still available, made right here in Missoula. (Also the recently renamed Trout Slayer).

Gas up the truck, scoop up the Gouv, and I'll buy dinner! (Or fly - there are some lonely unused boats on racks that could be persuaded out of their covers for the weekend..??)

Looks like a beautiful place to sail, but I did have a question. How many boats to you expect to show up for the D22 championship? According to the latest issue of the Laser Sailor, there is a grand total of ONE paid member in D22.

uhh...that would be...me. Can't tell you why no one up there is paid up.

Last year there were 10 boats. I have seen 25 in the past. No reason there can't be more - it's a nice facility. I have two new guys from Missoula planning on it, one in Bozeman, and two in the Flathead who will likely show, so that's five more than whomever showed last year. A CA sailor I know is thinking about it. I have two friends who plan to buy boats in the spring, so it's going to grow.

To all - in the interests of full disclosure, it is very smoky here right now due to all the fires in the region (and wind). It changes by the hour with wind direction / temperature. Out on the lake it's quite nice - I was there yesterday. I'm hoping it will settle down in two weeks and the skies will clear.

D22 Championship update bump

Here is another contact person. He will actually be running the event:

Phil Healey
1400 S Woodland Drive
Kalispell, MT 59901
(406)755-4218
[email protected]

Also, it is clear and blue here this morning, nice breeze.

Did I mention beer is included in the $20?

Today it is blowing 21, gusting to 36, clear blue skies.

Get those entry forms filled out. No need to rush them, I think you can register Sat morning, same price. Very good fish tacos in Bigfork, right up the road.

I am thinking of making a little road trip out there to sail this weekend from Seattle. Is there an NOR online?
Sounds like fun!

OUTstanding! Glad to hear it. I think Jim Christophor from CA is coming up, I have a handful of SW Montana people planning on it, and the guys from Sandpoint ID are considering, plus locals, so we might have a real turnout.

Here is the info I have. Pre-reg isn't so important I think - show up Friday night and sign in. It's $20, free camping on the grass, free beer, free dinner Sat night.

Contact
Phil Healey
1400 S Woodland Drive
Kalispell, MT 59901
(406)755-4218
[email protected]

http://www.ilcana.org/index.php?option=com_extcalendar&Itemid=140&extmode=view&extid=593

They sail pretty early up there, as there is a nice early morning thermal from the north off the Flathead river delta.

I had an epic day sailing up near there Sunday, with high winds. I doubt it will be like that unless another front comes through. Forecast right now is mid-80's and 5 to 9 mph wind.

Follow up

Well, we all had fun. Saturday was blue skies and sunburn, a nice breeze all day, 6 or 7 races. Great barbeque Sat night. Nice people from many places.

Amazing early morning thermal coming off the north shore. We were on the lake at 7:30 (ouch) and it was blowing 15+ at 8:00. Whitecaps for breakfast! Dies out mid-morning, and then clocks around and starts blowing from the south. I got beat up - everything is sore, and I have no skin on my fingertips. I got beat by a boat that had fallen off a truck and bounced down the highway on the way to the lake! Humbling.

The winner was a very nice woman from the University of Washington sailing team, national caliber, very smart, good sailor. She outwitted and outsailed everyone.

Second was Great Grand Master Jim Christopher from Eureka CA, 145 lbs of pure muscle, skill, and finesse. Amazing to watch (until he disappears over the horizon).

Third went to a nice young man from Russia, now living in Seattle, who brought his young family out to Flathead for a quick vacation. He was a top ten Opti and Laser sailor as a kid in Russia.

So there you have it. Next year will be bigger and better - see you there.
Thank you and good night!

Back