"coloured laser sail"

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by fatstratblond, Aug 28, 2006.

1. fatstratblond

fatstratblond New Member

Hi! did laser sails every come (coloured) I saw a add for a used laser,but it is 4 hour drive from me the add said "laser with coloured sail" and few other things

2. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

yeah they did and i think it was in the early to mid 80's

3. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Sure there were colored sails.

Check out this photo of me Ian Lineberger chasing me downwind at a Bruce Cup with my colored sail. He had one of the first 3.8 oz sails for that event and yes he did spend enough time ahead of me in the lighter winds to squeak me out in the points total. In fact District 13 won that Bruce Cup.

http://www.schrothfiberglass.com/images/80589%20whumping%20Ian%20L.jpg

4. rock steady

rock steady New Member

Thats a very nice sail gouv, great pic too.

5. fatstratblond

fatstratblond New Member

thanks , cool picture

6. Andreas

Andreas New Member

Can anyone tell me if intensity sails have the laser star decal or not? I am afraid they don't, but I haven't seen any in my life. Now I am hesitating about buying one. I know it sounds stupidly, but a laser without a star is not a laser for me... Can we purchase such a decal from anywhere?

7. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

no you cant purchase it if i remember correctly and no the sails dont have them.

I think they should come out with special edition limited edition laser sails for olympic years and any other special events.

8. Wavedancer

Wavedancer Upside down? Staff Member

We have had this discussion before (http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=4390).
    The Laser symbol is a registered trademark that is owned by Vanguard. Putting this symbol on a sail yourself is not proper. You may think this is silly, but companies spend lots of money defending their trademarks.

9. fsiewert

fsiewert New Member

That's what happens when the "company" ownes the trademark and not the sailing "assosication".

10. Andreas

Andreas New Member

Yes, in this way, companies are not motivated enough the produce better equipment for lower prices, because their products can't be called "laser" anyway. That's when making profit gets more important than sailing... I am sure that all the authorized Laser producers are making enormous extra-profits at our cost...

11. Laser76489

Laser76489 Member

The sailing association does not own the trademark and therefore will not make the $$ on product sold ...but they also did not invest the money or take the r&d risk or make the product so why would they be entitled to the $ ???

Yes there is probably money made perhaps even lots of it but those are the rules we play by to be "truly one design"

12. Andreas

Andreas New Member

What You are writing about is a patent. That's what is used for helping the companies in minimizing r&d risk. Patents expire after a certain time, I don't know after how long in the USA but I am almost sure it has already expired in the case of laser sails. Trademark is an other right which is not for minimizing r&d risk but for helping companies in distinguising their products from those of the others. I am not sure if the Laser logo is a trademark, but let's assume it is.
    In this case the best solution could have been granting the association with the rights in connection with the laser logo. And then the laser association would've had the right to decide which producers' sails to award the laser logo and which not. Practically all producers would have to produce the same one design sail in such a situation but there could be at least a price competetion among them. Not like now, where You can buy an almost better intensity sail for not even the half of the price of the "real" laser sail.

13. Andreas

Andreas New Member

Of course, I don't even try to contest that sticking a Laser logo on Your sail is illegal. But I don't think it hurts anyone if You don't want to race with it (then they will find it out anyway) or if You don't sell it to someone else believing it is a Laser sail.

14. Andreas

Andreas New Member

In fact, when we buy a Laser sail, we give something like 500 USD to a monopolist as a gift, assuming that the same sail costs 750 as a laser and 250 as an intensity sail...

OK I stop provocation now.

15. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

No, they've got the rights. I don't know how long a patent lasts. A copyright lasts for 75 years. Lasers have only been around since the 70s. Hey, are there any lawyers here who can tell us when the patents expire on the Laser and the sails? Can they be renewed?

16. Andreas

Andreas New Member

"No, they've got the rights."

Really? Then how come intensity can produce the same sails? Did they buy the licence? Then they must be really very efficient in production if they sell the sails for less then 250 after having bought the license as well! :))

17. gouvernail

gouvernail Active Member

Our VP was explaining life to me a few weeks ago and he mentioned something that ought to be in this thread>>>

Copyrights and patents on products are there to protect the consumer as well as the producer.

Here in the US, if it has a Laser logo we know it is either aproved by Chip Johns himself or, if found out, somebody has to answer to Chip, his lawyers and even federal prosecutors..

Chip owns the copyright. The copyright is attached to a specific product line. Nobody else may represent his product as Chips product without Chips express written permission.

Say whatever you want about Chip and his desire to line his pockets; he absolutely warrants everything he sells.

The Laser logo means, "Chip Johns and the US government say it will work as represented."

As a result, the Laser copyright in NA is actually doing exactly as congress intended.

18. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

I am pretty sure they use a different material and they done have anything that says laser on it or has the logo so it is a totally different product and it isnt a laser sail its just a sail that happens to work on a laser.:)

19. fsiewert

fsiewert New Member

So what would be wrong with using an aftermarket sail in a big race....and if you say unfair advantage then ask yourself why the "cheaper" sail is better. Is it planned obsolescense? Or just something else? :confused:

20. sk8ingsailor

sk8ingsailor Member

it might not be class legal! you could be kicked out!