Cockpit flange seal

jamesg

I have a pre-71 Sunfish (with the flanged cockpit-deck joint. There's some old dirt and stuff stick in the crevices where the cockpit flange meets the deck. Once I get the dirt cleaned out, should I go around the edge with some 3M sealant?

Since it's a structural seam that holds the cockpit in place, I'd do a leak test first. If a leak is found, use a syringe to inject epoxy into the area. 3M 5200 is made to stay flexable and allow structural movement. Using it to plug the seam may allow the seam to open up further. Use a good quality epoxy like West Epoxy, not the stuff you find in hardware store bubble packs.

Since it's a structural seam that holds the cockpit in place, I'd do a leak test first. If a leak is found, use a syringe to inject epoxy into the area. 3M 5200 is made to stay flexable and allow structural movement. Using it to plug the seam may allow the seam to open up further. Use a good quality epoxy like West Epoxy, not the stuff you find in hardware store bubble packs.
The older tubs had more of a curved lip at the connecting flange making it nearly impossible to see if separation was occuring and makeing a great dirt trap. I concur, a leak test is the best way to tell if there's a problem or only poor housekeeping.

Back