Cockpit bailer

bunt

I recently unscrewed the cockpit drain plug cap much to my regret. Of course the mechanism underneath immediately fell into the space below and it looks like I have no way to get it to bring it up to be able to screw the cap in again.Further ,even if I could I'm not sure of the orientation of the mechanism below which seems to have a ball check valve in it. What can I do?

Can you post a pic? I think we are all confused as to how this could happen. It does not sound like something that could happen to the old metal bailers. Can you post a pic in the cockpit and from the bottom of the boat?

Can you post a pic? I think we are all confused as to how this could happen. It does not sound like something that could happen to the old metal bailers. Can you post a pic in the cockpit and from the bottom of the boat?
It's a plastic part,not metal. As you can see from the photos,when I unscrewed the top o
100_0859.jpg
100_0860.jpg
f the bailer the bottom section of the bailer dropped into the hull. I can bring it up to the hole with my fingers, but not through the hole in order to rescrew the top on again. The pictures are from the cockpit and you an see part of the bottom section in the hole.

Is the boat sitting on the ground?

You should be able to reach under and insert it back in the hole and reattach the top.

Be sure the opening on the bottom of the boat is facing the stern of the boat so it works properly. Otherwise it will scoop water into the boat.

Back