Clew Tiedown

Are you using rope or one of the strap options available? I use the rooster strap and have never had a problem no matter what the breeze.

Providing you are head to wind or haven't yet rigged the mainsheet, I can't see how it could be a problem

As sailorchick said the rooster clew strap, it is probably the best on the market along with
a shackle and a small harken block you can't go wrong

Or get one of the Harken slides.
I sailed with one all last year, and cant praise it enough.
Just remember to lube it regularly!

That should stir up a whole host of Anti-slide comments! ;)

still use rope, maybe harder to rig, but never had it come loose while sailing. the straps tend to do this after a while. Don't wont to take that risk when sailing qualifiers.

but lots of people seem happy about it.

I used to have a line running through a bunch of beeds, they lowed the friction between the line and the boom. Now I have the Velcro tie down

Aren't they considering allowing the use of lube as everyone does it anyway?

Yes they are considering the change. But in the meantime, just don't do it front of a measurer as it's still technically illegal.

Probably I should delete my earlier post.

....Probably I should delete my earlier post.
Alan D, why? Thanks for any hint you friendly give us here(, in future also). You know, better you tell (or better to say: teach) us early enough wht one is doing wrong, than "to have the problems" during the races, am I correct?
LooserLu

I've had the velcro straps come loose twice now - so have reverted to a length of rope. It actually seems to slide better and is easier to put on anyway. Just a twice round and a reef knot.

I just can't take the risk, I know that some people have never had problems but...

As a class measurer, I hope I didn't read that.

I'm not sure whether it is technically illegal, as it is a form of preventative maintenance. Stainless sleeve on ali boom equals corrosion, a thin layer of ptfe removes the contact. Also, if an un-lubed slide catches and jams, it can damage both the boom, and the entire outhaul system if the guy pulling on it is stubborn/strong enough. I've had it happen, hence my earlier post.

Notwithstanding the above, I wont be competing at anything above GP level this year, and by the time I get to next years nationals hopefully the rule will have been changed, although I'd like to see a measurer actually throw someone out, based on the above statement.

Stirring again!!;)

I'm not sure whether it is technically illegal, as it is a form of preventative maintenance. Stainless sleeve on ali boom equals corrosion, a thin layer of ptfe removes the contact.

While you can argue in that way, you need to read the last part of 26 (a). "provided such repairs are made in such a way that the essential shape, characteristics or function of the original are not affected. " The use of lube definitely makes the surface more slippery than it was originally, thus the characteristics are changed.

My real point is even though most lasers sailors do it and hopefully the change occurs soon. It's not something we check for, so doing it elsewhere out of sight of the measurer is something we won't know about. Just don't make the mistake of doing something technically illegal in front of a measurer, they might be having a bad day and might make you clean it off.

Actually, the measurers don't throw out competitors. The measurer advises the race committee, the race committe protest and the the jury does the disqualifying.

No problems Madyottie, I enjoy a good stirring as well:)

Back