Clew shackle Vs Clew Hook

sailor327

What is the differance. my first reggatta i thought id go there seeing everyone using the hook but instead everyone was using a shackle what is the difference.

Shackle is lighter and a much more positive closure. If the only purpose of either is to attach the outhaul to the sail (ie, you are using a clew strap or other clew tie down directly thru the clew of the sail) and you don't need a quick disconnect, shackle makes more sense, especially for important races.

The hook is great if you are trying to save a few minutes rigging and de-rigging, such as when you have limited practice time, but it has been known to release while sailing and if you use it as your clew tie down, it does not get the clew as close to the boom as it does when tieing the clew directly to the boom.

I've seen people struggle with the clew hook while rigging as well. It DOES come out. Tie down that clew and you should be ok, Rooster makes a velcro tie down as well if that suits you more (taking the whole thing apart more often or whatever)

shackle pic

Back