Cleat for Standard Laser Rachet Block

thistle2311

I have a 2002 laser which has a rachet block. I am interested in retrofitting a cleat which mounts to this block.

Any suggestions as to which cleat will be most effective? The block I have is a Harken with a 2-1/2" diameter.

Not a good idea...not class legal. You can mount cam cleats on the edge of the cockpit in the legal location.

Thanks for the heads up. I did see info about the location of blocking on each side of the pit where these could be mounted.

I THINK they're legal, but most people don't like them as first of all you shouldn't be cleating the main that much anyway, but more importantly it tends to cleat when you don't want it to, which is an extraordinarily bad thing in a boat with a hull as reactive as the laser is. The mainsheet also tends to get wrapped around it.

I have an 86 hull & am thinking about putting cleats on the deck. When I feel around under the deck, though the inspection port next to the daggerboard trunck, I can't feel any backing blocks under the deck. Could someone let me know if the 86 had backing blocks and/or whether I should be able to feel them if they were there.

If i have to add them should I use wood or aluminum? Whatever I use I'm planning on using some West epoxy and filler to stick it up in there. I guess I'll have to put another inspection port on theother side so I can put a backing block there.

Recommendations for specific cleats? I use the rooster mainsheet.

Hi,

The wood reinforcement for cleats is flush with the deck, and with the bottom layer. You will not feel them. You can be very sure they are as shown in the measurement diagram. See the ILCA website for the full rules, a part of which are the diagrams. If you reach in your port with a digi cam, and take a pic, they will show up, as the underlayer of glass is quite translucent.

Most of us use a small micro harken, 336, or similar. Positioned as far forward as possible, and still hit the blocking. No special epoxy needed, just drill, squirt silicone or 5200, and insert screws.

Then get padded hiking pants, as you will be sitting on them all the time. And remember, never to cleat on a blustery day (unless the water is warm!).

Al Russell 182797

Back