Cleaning sails

lakesailer

I just picked up this Minifish. I couldn't resist it since it's so darn cute! I want to give the sail a clean up on the next sunny day, and was wondering what you guys like to use for cleaning your sails. Any any tips you might have.
thanks

Attachments

• minifish1.jpg
    minifish1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 58
Lakesailer, I have cleaned many sails by simply laying them on a clean tarp and scrubbing with Oxyclean or any mild cleaner(dish soap) works well.Use plenty of water while cleaning with a medium stiff scrub brush. Rinse thoroughly and hang to dry. Don't be afraid to use some muscle especially on trouble spots.

Hose end sprayer with mild detergent.
(Odo-Ban cleaner/disinfectant if you have mildew)

Spray the sail raised on its mast/booms
both sides

Let it sit a few minutes (don't let it dry)

Spray off with a common garden sprayer nozzle.

Don't scrub it.

Let it air dry in the shade preferably.

Note spray out any left over detergent over the lawn. It kills fleas and flea eggs better than any commercial insecticide... and it makes the grass green up.

Simple green and big tub.

Mix about a cup with enough warm water to cover the sail, let soak a few hours. Hang up, rinse with hose let dry.

Don't use a scrub brush on sails, it pulls fibers. If I need to "scrub" anything, I use an old cotton wash cloth.

If you gotta scrub... (trying to get out a mildew stain is about the only excuse)

Lay clean coroplast (the unpainted side of a political sign) under the sail where you are going to scrub.
Definitely don't do it directly on average driveway concrete.

Nothing to catch the back side that way.

From NorthSails
"For particularly stubborn, deep set stains, surface cleaning will not work. It is necessary to immerse the stain in a fungicide for 12 hours or more, to allow it to get into where the stain is. It is not necessary to use a particularly high concentration, only to get the fungicide where the stain is. No amount of vigorous surface scrubbing will do what a good soak will do."

They also recommend a weak bleach solution 30:1 for soaking.

Do not use bleach on nylon, it will destroy it.

Back