Cleaning/drying inside of hull

ems3796

Today I made the unfortunate mistake of forgetting to put my stern plug in before I went sailing. After sailing for a while and noticing how slow I was, I finally realized my mistake. Does anyone have anytime for cleaning out the salt and then drying the inside of the hull? (it is a relatively new boat)

I guess you could rinse it out with a hose then tip the boat up and let all the water out the drain plug. Leave the boat tipped up... Take a leaf blower and stick it in an inspection port........ Then walk away

If it's a relatively new boat, there may not be an inspection port....

I do recommend to put the boat on its stern but then to let her dry 'naturally'. If at all possible, face the deck towards the sun. You can use black plastic trash bags to heat things up some more.

Thanks for the replies guys. I managed to clean the salt out of the hull with a hose, but I was wondering if the fiberglass on the inside of the hull will absorb any water or will water just sit there to be drained out. If it does absorb water, how much?

Thanks.

The inside of a laser hull/deck will absorb water. It's not unheard of to pick up 5-10 lbs, but that's from letting the water sit in the hull for weeks, or worse, upside down, soaking into the deck core. The good news is whatever is absorbed can be removed, it's just a matter of getting promoting evaporation and low humidity. From what you've described, I'd be surprised if you picked up more then a pound or two and a week or two of sitting around normally should dry that out. If it had an inspection port and you put it in a low-humidity location, it would dry within a day or two

great thank you, that was exactly what I was looking for. Luckily, my next regatta is BBR, so it will have 2 weeks to dry.

Thanks!

Back