clean sail

That's probably mildew from storage under warm and wet conditions.

When I had a similar problem with my Hobie sail, a Hobie-site poster said, "throw it in a swimming pool".

With no swimming pool handy, I made a shallow pool of a blue tarp raised around the edges from underneath by loose 2x4s, and soaked the sail for three days in a weak Chlorox solution. (Rotating every day). The spots (all nickle-sized or smaller) became greatly reduced in size and number, and the sail doesn't appear to have been damaged by the treatment.

Many Sunfish dealers post cleaning tips. I think I saw one such list at Torrenson. Nearly every sail supplier has a sail care page. Have you checked out North Sails to see what they say. They make the Sunfish sail.

I suggest that you spread your sail on grass and try something gentle at first. For instance, a conventional detergent (or dishwashing liquid) and scrub with a (Dobie) cleaning pad. If that doesn't work you can try the (10-fold) diluted Chlorox approach on one of the spots to see if it's effective (see the Porpoise2 post). I believe you can also buy (washing machine) detergent that contains Chlorox.

Or you can just leave things alone :):):)

- - - just DON'T PUT YOUR SAIL IN THE WASHING MACHINE !!
If you use a detergent, mix it in a bucket and apply it by hand.

Back