class rules for rudder

lasereng

Hi,

Does anybody know if having the pin in the rudder stock section to pin around the gudgeon is a class rule? I'm not talking the rudder/tiller pin. Hopefully you know what i mean? and hopefully it isn't?

I may be wrong but I think you are meaning the split ring that goes through the rudder pin to stop the rudder falling off if you invert. If this is the case then to my understanding its not a class requirement. It does make your insurance company a lot happier if you use it though - noble marine has made several pleas for laser sailors to use it to prevent unnecessary rudder loss claims.

Hi,

Does anybody know if having the pin in the rudder stock section to pin around the gudgeon is a class rule? I'm not talking the rudder/tiller pin. Hopefully you know what i mean? and hopefully it isn't?

It depends where you are in the world. The pin isn't a manadatory item under the laser class rules, but may be a required item under your local yachting association juristriction as is the case in Australia. From personal experience the metal flap on the hull can be insufficient to prevent the rudder falling off in a capsize, so the pin is actually a really good idea.

Back