Class rules changes

pticoad

Hi,

Something I don't understand, is that the sickness of the centerbord permited it to go up during sailing.

About centerbord, 2009 rule changes say that:

One layer of any material of maximum 2mm thickness and of a maximum size of 30mm x 30mm may be applied at the top front corner of the centreboard case.

But, why ILCA measurers do not allowed the use of adhesive plastic tape to fix (block?) the centerbord down? How to sail with a centerbord which, at some moments, go up??

For example, 29ers use "fitted carpet" to kix their blades. But the use of adhesive plastic tape could be an other idea.

Ant

its simple! it means where your daggerboard would wear the hull at the deck
it is sayng you are allowed to put something there! e.g tape but the loop size od velcro works best!

A daggerboard is the type of centerboard that we have on a Laser.

Why would you want to tape it down? Don't you raise it when sailing downwind? Ways to keep the centerboard/daggerboard down include changing the tension on the bungee or adjusting the position of the brake. The brake is the rubber thingy at the front of the slot.

First thanks for explanations of what is a draggerboard.

Maybe i wasn't clear, because you didn't understand me.
I don't want to tape de draggerboard down.Of course, I raise it when it's downwind.

I would like to install tape to the bottom of the shaft of the draggerboard. Like that, the draggerboard would always stayed down.

But, sometimes, when I sail upwind with waves, the draggerboard rises! Or when you are waiting for the race's start, because of waves, the draggerboard rises. So that's why I would like to install tape to the bottom of the shaft.

I don't know it's more precise?

Ant

But, why ILCA measurers do not allowed the use of adhesive plastic tape to fix (block?) the centerbord down? How to sail with a centerbord which, at some moments, go up??

Because the class rules do not permit it. End of story.

If you want changes in the class rules, you need to talk directly with the ILCA and they will bring it up with the technical committee. The measurers only enforce the class rules, not make the class rules.

First thanks for explanations of what is a draggerboard.

Maybe i wasn't clear, because you didn't understand me.
I don't want to tape de draggerboard down.Of course, I raise it when it's downwind.

I would like to install tape to the bottom of the shaft of the draggerboard. Like that, the draggerboard would always stayed down.

But, sometimes, when I sail upwind with waves, the draggerboard rises! Or when you are waiting for the race's start, because of waves, the draggerboard rises. So that's why I would like to install tape to the bottom of the shaft.

I don't know it's more precise?

Ant

The reason is:

The plastic slot is molded. All Laser Centerboard slots are exactly the same because they come from molds that are exactly the same.

if the class allowed people to change the inside of the centerboard slot, the boats would no longer be exactly the same.

One thing that I use tape for, in respect to the centerboard trunk, is a small piece of duct tape at the front. Because of the tension from the bungie I have to keep the centerboard in position, it wears at the front edge of the deck. It is perfectly legal to do this, because the Laser officials realize that this is the highest wear point of the hull. I am going to replace the tape with loop velcro soon. Hope this helps.

Check your centreboard to see if it is worn (thinner ) than others - if so, paint it/repair it.
Note some old hulls that were made for timber centreboards and may seem looser in the case if a worn foam board is used. Not sure but some of the timber boards seemed fatter.

Otherwise (and if you have not done so) suggest you experiment with shock cord from the top front of the board to the bow fairlead. The shockcord needs to be good quality and only stretched within its limit. The right tension should hold the board where you set it (but pull back against the cord to lower or raise it so you dont wear the leading and trailing edges)

Back