Class legal

Dabbie

If you were buying an older laser how would you know if the spars and foils were class legal?(Early 1980's). I know newer foils have stickers or the emblem etched onto them but older ones don't seem to have this.

I don't think anybody produced fake Laser parts in the early 1980s yet, at least not in any significant quantities. Chances are that if the whole package is original, then it's legal. Of course you might want to compare the parts with somewhat newer ones that you know are legal to see if there are any suspicious differences.

This is one of my big issues with the replica gear, if you're going to produce it, permanently mark it so well that it cannot be confused with the legal equipment. It all very well saying something on a website, but make it so no measurer can miss it or a new buyer. If your honestly making this equipment to help the class and the sailors, do the right thing.

The replica/practice argument makes sense only for sails and maybe blades, things that wear out or are easily torn up. Maybe you could extend that to top sections.

Back