chipped daggerboard

jimk4490

Can anyone tell me how best to repair my chipped daggerboard? The bottom trailing corner (about 1/2") triangular piece broke off when I dropped my daggerboard. I have the piece that broke. I doubt glueing it will do any good. Should I try marine tex? Just sand it smooth? Gelcoat it? Forget about it?

Thanks. Jim K.

Marine tex is probably the easiest way. I've done it a couple of times myself.

When sanding it, use a flat block to sand with. You want to sand down the martine tex just until it blends in smoothly without removing any extra centerboard material.

edit - just re-read that you had the broken piece. You may be able to glue it back in place with west system epoxy. Same comments about sanding it smooth apply.

Thanks Torrid. Yes, I thought about marine tex also. I just wonder if it will stick to the board ok. I thought I might screw in a couple of tiny wood screws to give it something to grip onto. Thanks for you help!

Thanks,

Jimk

When I repaired mine before I got my '08 boat I used a piece of a rivet gun that gets shot out, looks like a needle. i drill a hole in the end of the board, and insert the rod. I then marine tex around it, and sand it down. The rod gives it extra strength.

Some things don't glue well.

But I'd guess you can epoxy a chip that size back into place. Is the contact surface area really so small?

When I repaired mine before I got my '08 boat I used a piece of a rivet gun that gets shot out, looks like a needle. i drill a hole in the end of the board, and insert the rod. I then marine tex around it, and sand it down. The rod gives it extra strength.

I think I said this on a previous post but just for fun, That "needle" is called a mandril, yeah my coach told me that, I used those for my board repair too! Its still holding true

ChalmersP

Got someone else to repair mine but looking at it he put a couple of screws in, built it up with epoxy (or similar) and sanded to the right shape. Worked really well till my boyfriend dropped it getting it out the car and broke the repair in half, d'oh!!

I use epoxy. The nice thing about epoxy is that due to it's adhesive properties and not chemically bonding properties you can mask the area with masking or painting tape, fill it with epoxy, peel the tape off and sand it to the desired shape.

Also, when prepping the area for the job make sure it is rough. If you smooth sand it before you apply epoxy or marine tex the bond will not be as strong. Believe it or not the little grooves from being rough sanded almost triples your bonding surface!!!!!

The same thing happended to my centreboard. I used Araldite Rapid to stick the piece back on. It's a 2 part adhesive widely available in the UK. Minimal prep with great results. This is what Rooster recommend on their website. Don't know if you get it on the other side of the pond though.

I have a similar chip in the bottom of the trailing edge of my daggerboard. I have some West System 404 High Density Filler lying around, will that work?

Back