Centreboard bend

Hi after a regatta on the weekend talking to the hot shots I have found out that my centreboard has a bow in it from probably being left out in the sun (before i got the boat).

Its not huge and I realise that it is likely to be having a small effect on boat speed, partciularly on one tack. But it is always the 1% things to make me go faster and I cant spend more time on the water than i already do.

My question is:

Can this be fixed or am i up for a new board?

A simple man (me) would suggest just placing the board in the sun on a hot day (41oC today) the opposite direction and maybe it would bend the other way, but the little voice in me is also saying that it is unlikely to go straight.

one trick i use it to put 2 pieces of wood on either side and use clamps to hold it in place then get a hair drier and heat the edge.

You don't need a new board. Heating the board makes it bend. If it is that hot there, try the simple man solution first!

Thanks guys I will give it a go. i might just need to chuck it outside today 44 degrees !! no iron or hair dryer needed

Probably the more important thing to say is never leave your centreboard or rudder in the sun or in your car on even warm days. Leave them in the shade under the boat or inside at home.

FWIW, both the old foam boards and the new fibreglass boards will warp in the heat, but the new glass boards will will self straighten if you flip them over and and leaving in the sun.

It's just plastic. I used a heat gun to fix the tweaked tip of mine... but it would be difficult to use it to bend (or unbend) the whole board.

Probably the more important thing to say is never leave your centreboard or rudder in the sun or in your car on even warm days. Leave them in the shade under the boat or inside at home.

FWIW, both the old foam boards and the new fibreglass boards will warp in the heat, but the new glass boards will will self straighten if you flip them over and and leaving in the sun.

That would be the new fibreglass boards that can't be obtained anywhere but in Australia then?

Australia & New Zealand actually, but a lot of the internationals are going home with them. So they are making it into the other markets slowly.

Straightened mine over the electric hob on my oven. Don't keep your rudder in the same bag as your daggerboard as the board can warp around the smaller rudder. The tips about keeping boards in the shade and not leaving them in hot cars etc are all good advice.

I have put the board under a halogen work light, warmed it up, and clamped a couple of pieces of straight wood on it. It worked great.

Back