Centerboard trunk seam?

nisusra

I am in the process of restoring an older laser and have come across something that I am not sure is a problem. Inside the centerboard trunk, about one half an inch from the bottom of the hull, is a very straight hairline "crack" (actually it looks like a seam line). The line extends around the entire trunk with some breaks but looks like it might be intentional. The area is smooth and I tried a leak test and nothing indicated a leak.

The question is should I be concern and if so how should I go about repairing this? Option one would be to score the seam/crack and then simply fill with expoy or marine filler. Option two would be to cut an inspection port on top and reseal from inside. In either case I think that I first need to make sure if it is a leak or not. I have contemplated filling the boat with water through the drain plug and seeing if anything comes out. Is this a dumb idea (ive been known to have a few)? I would like to address the problem at this time because I am filling and repairing the scratches on the botom and will be painting the hull soon and do not want to readdress afterwards. sorry no pictures - the crack just does not show on the photos.

Help - covered in dust.

Don't try filling the boat with water, you're likely to do more damage to the hull. Probably the best way to test for leaks is to pump some air into the boat through the drain plug (you may have a vent hole under the front of the hiking strap that will need to be taped up for this) and then slather soapy water all over any areas you suspect may be leaks. If you get bubbles in the soapy water then you have a leak.

Be careful of how much pressure you put in -- it's easy to over do it. I saw a guy blow up his hull once doing this, there was a HUGE bang and he split the hull deck joint along 3/4 the length of his boat as well as made cracks along the hull. It was hysterical because it was only a Hobie Cat and he was kind of a doofus anyway.

Where he went wrong was using an air compressor without dialing the pressure down at all (I think he got up to over 120 psi before it blew). and walking away for a couple minutes. Anyway, you can avoid this by first, paying attention and second, using less pressure.

Try a shop vacuum on reverse or a bicycle pump or an air compressor dialed down really low.

If the seam bothers you, scratch it out a bit, and fill it with epoxy or gelcoat.

Sand it smooth and go sailing.

Do not leave multiple leayers of tape on the inside of the trunk after finishing that job.

Do not paint over those layers of tape.

Do not try to get everybody at midwinter's West to believe you didn't know about that tape

Do not let anybody look inside the trunk and see that tape

Do not be a total jerk and leave the YC after being thrown out while yelling, "Next time, fight your own battles, you pussy." at the guy who noticed the tape and told the class president who told the second place guy who protested and caused a hearing where the backboneless jury only threw your ass out for the last race as opposed to banning you for a few years for a gross breach of sportsmanship.

You see, we admire originality and...

That has already been done

Back