Centerboard Dollies

mbrountree

does anyone have an idea what company makes centerboard dollies for a sunfish, and how much new (or used)?

i am not looking for a trailer, have that, nor am i looking for something that would go on the road.

it's just a two wheel item that has a wood or steel rod (or plate) that fits into the centerboard hole... for short walks to the beach and back.

i am having difficulty finding information on the net for this item.

clarification-- in other words, not the seitech, which is pretty much a full trailer. i am looking for a lightweight, two wheel item that the 'fish is balanced upon as you walk it to the water.

A modest warning. These dagger board slot dollies can result in damage to the dagger board trunk and result in leaks. The Seitech type dolly is probably a better dolly as it provides good support for the hull (i.e. the nice wide web strap that carries most of the load.) I rank the Seitech dolly right up there with sliced bread and duct tape for being a good invention and boon
to small boat sailors.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I concur with Al on the possibility of damage to the Dagger board trunk. The versions I have seen have the wheels underneath and are not very stable on rougher ground. The Seitech, VooDoo (Wind Line Sails) (similar design) put the wheels outside the hull line and lower the center of gravity and are quite stable, break down for storage/transportation and light weight. Roleez (roleez.com) has an option that allows it to be hooked up to a 4-wheeler. All can be had with larger wheels for soft or rough surfaces.None of the brands mentioned weigh very much, but are a bit pricey.

mbrountree said:
does anyone have an idea what company makes centerboard dollies for a sunfish, and how much new (or used)?

i am not looking for a trailer, have that, nor am i looking for something that would go on the road.

it's just a two wheel item that has a wood or steel rod (or plate) that fits into the centerboard hole... for short walks to the beach and back.

i am having difficulty finding information on the net for this item.

Davis Instruments advertizes their Wheel-a-Weigh dolly. It's not designed to fit in the daggerboard slot, just to carry the boat. Don't know if this type of dolly will work well with a Sunfish and how easy it would be drag your fish across the beach.

I use the Wheel-Aweigh for a Sunfish. Works fine. Might be a little hard to roll very far if the sand is really soft. It's the most inexpensive commercial dolly I found for the purpose.

Note: the Davis web site lists it as a kayak dolly but it's good for the 'fish.

Fred

I love my daggerboard dollies. Next to my Sunfish it's the most valuable piece of sailing equipment I own. Made the 1st one in 78 and the second one 2yrs. ago. The 1st one now transports my Minifish. I get endless comments on them. They're designed to go over the road, not the sand. I could push the rig for miles, luckily I only need to go about 300 yds.

Al Court

Whistler,

I'm too technologically challanged to do this. Would you like a real photo by real mail?
Fortunately / unfortunately I excel in the real world and flounder in the virtual one.

Al Court

CIMG1503.jpg

CIMG1507.jpg

CIMG1487.jpg

Here is what I made. Since taking the close up picture, I made some modifications, but the idea is essentially the same. The biggest change being to shorten the axle to just long enough to put the wheels on, which you might see in the pictures of the boat on the dolly. I also turned the supports from running perpendicular to the boat to running parrallel with the keel and about 16" long.
I've pulled this along sand and on the road, over some rocks and over bumps (where the pavement meets the sand). I think that it works just fine, though it is heavy on the bow handle, but switching hands isn't that hard. I paid about $30 total for the parts. I can't imagine paying the kind of money that the manufacturers want for their dollies. It attaches to the boat with two bungy cords hooked through the eye bolts that secure the tiller bridle. Let us know what you come up with.

Fish,

Have you tried moving the dolly forward to just behind the balance point. It would certainly lighten the load on your hands. The bungees (or straps) could still hold it in place if it is placed under the forward part of the footwell by hooking them to the footwell/cockpit lip.

Back