Center board tip repair

jimmy

I used the supplies on hand . I spent about 3 hours so far. Some of that was spent drinking beers and waiting for the resin to cure.

I mixed finely cut up fiberglass in with the resin for additional strength. I'l let the pictures do the talking.

IMG_2020.jpg

IMG_2021.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

I have 4 other boards that need finish sanding and painting. This one still has two or three low spots, but I want to get the other boards to this level before mixing up any more filler. I am sure there are better methods and matrials to use. This was a spur of the moment project while my baby was napping. I used the supplies on hand because I could not leave the house.

Materials consumed:

four tooth picks
small amount of polyester resin
small amount of fiberglass cloth
small amount of acetone
one peice of 150 grit sand paper
six pack Bud Light

Tools used

Paper mixing container
drill
disk sander to remove gross excess material
long sanding board
scisors

Jimmy

Nice work!
Did the same on my foil too - A small advice if you want it to last longer;):

Taper the area around the broken edge (both sides of the foil) until you get a "V"-shape.
Doing this you get a much larger area for the polyester/glass-fibre to attach/glue on. The resulting repair can take much larger bending forces too.
Dont be afraid of removing too much material - the polyester/glassfibre is stronger than the original material

Regards
Magnus

You can't see it too well in the pictures I posted but I did taper with the disk grinder before applying my first coat of glass . I tappered roughly 30 degrees and about a half inch back from the break. When I get home I will find a picture that shows that better and post it.

Ok, after a second look I can see some tapering work on some pictures (not the first)
I believe you got it right, I missed it on the pictures.
When I did the same I grinded/tapered off more, maybe an inch or so.
/Magnus

Here is a picturet that shows the tapper better. Probably would have been better to tapper more.

Attachments

• IMG_2023.jpg
    IMG_2023.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 59

Back