Cartop (or tow hitch) on a Jetta Sedan possible?

lankster470

I'm looking at getting a new (used) car and I want to be sure I can cartop a laser on whatever I get. Does anyone know if I can cartop a laser on a '00-'06 model VW Jetta sedan? Also, can a tow hitch be added to that car, and even if it can be, is it worth finding a car that can car-top rather than getting a trailer?

Thanks.

Use the Thule web site to see if they have "feet" for the model you are looking at
http://www.thuleracks.com/fg_vehicle.asp

Use a tow hitch site to find if there is a hitch made.
http://www.etrailer.com/fitguide.htm

It is nice to be able to have the option to tow or throw the hull up on top, but I'm not sure I would pick one car over another just because of that...

FWIW, 4 door models usually give you a better platform for racks, allowing the racks to be further apart.

I have actually seen Lasers on top of 4-door Jettas, so yes it can be done. I would personally prefer a Jetta wagon with a roof rack, though. I like having a little separation between the racks.

As for a hitch, I would imagine there is one for a Jetta. You can probably check online to see what's available.

There is a hitch for every car almost. Ask your local uhaul and they will install the hitch and all the wiring for you. A trailer is so much easier because you dont have all the lifting and you cant just tow it, plus you have a space to sore your spars and other gear. But it depends if you have a float on or just a trailer the carries it is always easier then cartopping.

What captain jack says. If you have the room, put it on a trailer. You can get on and off the water faster, and with less risk of damaging the boat by taking on/off the roof.

I've seen plenty of Jettas and Passats, even the occasional Golf, with hitches, so it's definitely doable.

I picked up an aftermarket tow kit for my little 90s Jetta; I think it was just a generic kit from an autoparts store or WalMart. I towed a 1500 pound jet boat with no problems! So definitely a go for the Laser.

Back