Carrying Radio-which model?

nesdog

I'm considering carrying a marine radio with me and wondering if anyone has a favorite? ICom makes some good waterproof/floating ones as well as Standard Horizon. Ideally, I'd like something smallish that won't be a pain to attach to my PFD.

Thanks...

When I was a teenager, my dad bought a little handheld Standard Horizon VHF for shore parties/explorers to communicate with the 'mother ship'. It had great battery life and range, and if I were considering one, I wouldn't hesitate to get one of theirs.

I've got an Icom m36 which I love. It's a little bulky for laser sailing and I'd be worried about it getting snagged on things. However, I suppose I could stow in a vest pocket. It's comparable in size to the standard horizons I've seen. Having said that Icom does sell a model that is much smaller. I'd check that out.

I've been looking at the Standard Horizon HX751, which seems to be about the same size as the ICom but a bit less expensive.

My PFD doesn't have pockets though so I'd have to attach it to the strap.

It's not something I would carry for inside the marina days but I do mostly go out to the ocean and there isn't always a huge amount of boat traffic out there. If I run into problems, (as I did several weeks ago), I'm toast. All of the cat sailors around here are now carrying radios and I considered one when I had my Prindle. Of course, they go farther offshore than I do with the Laser.

Hate to carry yet another item with me but given how close I came to losing my boat just a few yards off the harbor entrance, this may be called for.

I carry an older Icom model thats waterproof. Its too large for my pfd so it lives in the inspection port bag and only comes out when I need it. Yeah, somebody can't hail you if your radio is inside the boat, but at least you can hail that tug boat thats bearing down on you when your becalmed.

I just had to get a new one - my previous handheld was waterproof, but didn't float. Took it out only once. So that's why I don't remember what it was - I headed out for a burly day of sailing with it and when I came back to shore it was gone, out of the life-jacket pocket even though it had a sturdy clip. My new Icom IC-M34 floats, but I still use a lanyard and carabiner now....

Dennis
Tomales Bay CA

What kind of PFD are you using that has a pocket? Does the radio fully fit in there? Does it get in the way when you are sailing?

The PFD is an "Extrasport." I think it was designed more for kayakers - but it does have two pockets - one with a flap and clip closure and one with a zipper. No, the radio doesn't fit all the way down inside, so the rubber antenna does get tweaked by the mainsheet occasionally. I leave it on "scan" and I'm still trying to get used to sudden voices coming from my torso while sailing.

Dennis
Tomales Bay CA

Back