carbon top section

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by sailor327, Sep 14, 2005.

1. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

I just got my summer issue of "The Laser Sailor" and i am amazed at the fact that the Carbon top section might be coming out for the radial this fall or winter. its also is great that it might be so cheap at under 300$ compared to the tiny Carbon tiller which is 180$.

2. 49208

49208 Tentmaker

Amazing except for the fact that if you want to sail either a 4.7 or full rig as well, you still need the alum top section too....

3. computeroman2

computeroman2 Member

That sounds great.....I don't know what the advantages are, could you either tell me or post some of the article or something?

I know carbon fibre is strong and light, that's about it.

Why do you still need a different one for standard and 4.7? wouldn't they at least make it compatible?

4. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

The goal for making a the carbon top section for the radial, as I understand it, is to make the radial easier to sail for lighter women in the Olympic. It will not be legal to use for the 4.7 or standard, but for racing and sailing at the local level, I may be tempted to try it.

Merrily

5. terraslaser

terraslaser New Member

i think it would just bend off to much on a fullrig because the bottom section is quite stiff in a full rig where as on a radial it is very bendy.

oh and can some tell for much that is in english pounds? :)

6. SFBayLaser

SFBayLaser Member

It is my understanding that the plan is to introduce the composite spar for use by the Radial and 4.7 but not for the Laser. I **think** the eventual plan is to adopt the composite spar across all rigs (post 2008???). I suppose we will all have more information on this topic after the World Council meeting in Fortaleza at the end of the month (I know that ILCA is planning an article on this topic which will probably appear in the Winter Laser World).

Until then, Ned's article in The Laser Sailor is the best source of information currently available... and if you are not an ILCA-NA member you can still join now and get a copy of this issue to read all about it (and your membership will be valid through the end of 2006) - just go to www.laser.org and sign up online.

Tracy

7. Merrily

8. Sunray

Sunray New Member

I lived in London for a couple of years and I seem to remember that 200 pounds would be the rough equivalent of $300.... The 166 pound answer sounds about right......
    Ray

9. Merrily

The exchange rate changes day by day, and the dollar is weak right now.

Merrily

10. torrid

torrid Just sailing

At 150 lbs., how much benefit would I see from a carbon top section on a Radial? I think it would tend to be of more benefit for lighter sailors.

11. Murphs

Murphs New Member

yeah, in testing they have found it helps lighter sailors alot more than it helps heavier radial sailors

i think the composite spar is only for the radial for now and will probably be legal soon

12. Tom

Tom New Member

Yeh when i had ago of it, it was windy and me being only 68kg at the time found it great. I have heard that it will be legal after the Australian national (december to january this year) so i guess its just all about waiting now :p

13. Chuoui

Chuoui New Member

With the carbon top making it easier for the lighter guys is it going to move the weight range down and kill off the 4.7??

14. sailor327

sailor327 New Member

thats a good question

15. peterbye

peterbye New Member

In theory!
    In practice I bet it will be £300 here in the UK.

16. Mullet Time!

Mullet Time! Member

Carbon top sections suck they shouldnt change it, i would have liked it a while ago but now i can just see that it would change the technique in heavy air so much that it would be not good. If you can't handle the radial in heavy air sail a different boat or hike more

17. TheBoathouse

TheBoathouse New Member

No I don't think so. The carbon top will make it easier for the 135 pound (61kg) person to compete but the 110 pound (50kg) ex-Opti kid would still struggle with it in any breeze.

18. 3335

3335 New Member

What I've been wondering is if these top sections are significantly stronger. I've seen 3 or 4 friends break their (aluminum) top sections this year, and I'd hate for that to happen to me! (I tend to be slightly accident prone.) Does anyone know about this mast's breakablilty?

19. Sunray

Sunray New Member

Well, listen,I STILL have not bought the laser (looking for a complete package---laser, trailer, dolly, e.t.c.) but when I DO buy it, in general I would like NOT to spend even MORE money for an additional top-section. I mean, money is not THAT critical if you want a "competitive rig"---key phrase here---the breakability factor is something to consider also---but I figure that if you are in some relatively serious competitions, then you should think about saving up for this "improvement" (if all the talking-heads really think the extra expense is worth it, that is).

Heck, I have not even been on a sailboat in 20 years, but I am determined to practise hard and get competitive and hopefully move up in the ranks, and I think I would justify the expense if it were 'class-legal' and it would make me competitive.....( which contradicts the statement on top there, but what the heck...this is a forum....

Ray
    Miami Beach

20. Murphs

Murphs New Member

they havent managed to break one while sailing here, one got destroyed in transit last year

but i hear they're broken one in france.

dont forget that these sections have been tested beyond the normal pressure that a laser rig would have on even the windiest days so one break is a hell of a lot better than how many times the alum section would have broken under the same testing