Car topping

pweisansal

Just recently purchased a 2002 Pontiac Aztek, factory roof rack..

I have never tried roof-toping my sunfish. I usually use my fathers truck, I load my sunfish onto our trailer, tow it, and it's as easy as that.

With my new truck since I cannot put a hitch on it that can pull the weight of the trailer, I wanted to experiment cartoping.

I have two herniated disks, which also limits me from dead lifting the whole boat over my head at once.

With all that outlined.. does anyone have any sugegstions, systems, somthing they put together, tips, tricks, ANYTHING!

It would be a great help! Thanks again!

250px-2002-05_Pontiac_Aztek.jpg
With my new truck since I cannot put a hitch on it that can pull the weight of the trailer.
Must be one heck of a trailer. I've seen Sunfish on a dolly, towed by a bicycle. I don't think there's a car, let alone a truck, that can't tow a Sunfish on a Sunfish-size trailer well within the manufacturer towing limitations. Pontiac says the Aztek has a towing capacity of 3000 lbs., a Sunfish on a trailer is about 1/10th of that.

I have two herniated disks, which also limits me from dead lifting the whole boat over my head at once.

With all that outlined.. does anyone have any sugegstions, systems, somthing they put together, tips, tricks, ANYTHING!

It would be a great help! Thanks again!

Grrrrrrr .... darned system timed out and cut me off :(

... anyway, as I was saying

250px-2002-05_Pontiac_Aztek.jpg
With my new truck since I cannot put a hitch on it that can pull the weight of the trailer.
Must be one heck of a trailer. I've seen Sunfish on a dolly being towed by a bicycle. I don't think there's a car, let alone a truck, that can't tow a Sunfish on a Sunfish-size trailer and stay well within the manufacturer towing limitations. Pontiac says the Aztek has a towing capacity of 3000 lbs., a Sunfish on a standard trailer is about 1/10th of that.

There are not too many folks with a good back who could do that either so don't feel bad. It's really a two person job.

If you are relying on a factory rack the real issue is the rack design and capacity. Will the rack fit the hull ... most curve the wrong way to cradle a boat. Factory racks are notorious for being flimsy, held to the roof with only small screws. Even with a sports rack you need to tie the boat, front and rear, solidly to the car ... not just the rack.

attachment.php

Thanks again for this picture Jim

One approach would be to load and unload at home using a garage ceiling hoist like the Harken Hoister. Then the problem comes at the water's edge, there you'll need an assistant or two.

A trailer really seems to be the wisest transport method for you ... slide off ... slide on ... no lifting.

Forget the car topping. There must be an after market hitch installer to do the job.
As previously stated, a Sunfish and a trailer to hold it is not heavy. You'll surely hurt your back at some time, especially when you are returning from the water if you have no help.

Fred

For what it's worth , my advice is , "Don't car top it ! .... Get a small trailer !" .... Check Craigslist or your local papers , you can easily adapt a used $100-$300 galvanized jetski type trailer to carry a Sunfish safely & if you search this forum , there is lots of useful trailer advice.
I'd put money on the fact that if you start car topping it , you will eventually either damage your Sunfish , damage your car , or even worse , damage yourself.
There are trailer hitches currently on eBay that are specifically built for your Pontiac Aztek for $147 with free shipping.

In the Washington DC area, certain U-Haul locations will install hitches on a variety of vehicles (for far less than dealerships). I have used them twice.

Back