Captain_Capsize's Drying Rig

thanks Bernie.! I got the fan at boaters world, it's a Rule in line blower 4". it fits perfectly in the 4" inspection plate. I put the (3) three 4" holes for drying purposes...

I've got duct tape AND one of those fans—unused. Finally a good use for it.

The solar cell is just to supplement the battery, right?

You are correct! the Solar Panel will help keep the fan going at a high speed for at least 12 hrs., and it will charge the battery for free (!) when you're not using the fan. I did have to charge the battery after a long cloudy day of drying. The fan creates a really cool low pitched harmonic sound coming out of the inspection ports too!

I think that that your dryer is great. I have been looking for a setup just like you used for a passive solar panel that pulls cool air through a series of baffles and supposively will warm air at the other end. Do you have any good sources for a solar panel about that same size.
Also I have 9 Sunfish so a rig like that would really come in handy. What type of battery do you use?
Bernie

As for warming" the air. Any battery operated (ie 12 volt) type will use a LARGE amount of amperage. .
"heating means BTU's and BTU's are hard on batteries. just a couple of hundred BTU's will require a large battery over 24 hours and more solar panels that you'd be willing to pay for (figure $400 minimum) to accomplish the task.
It would make almost a large enough flat area to use as a "carport" for the boat...LOL

Hi Mike,
The panel is from a 12' fullview sliding glass door panel double insulated glass. The fan is only to draw air threw the baffles in the box that is attached to the glass insulated etc. I've thought of using a computer fan? I believe I wouldn't have to store in battery.
bernie

Back