Can you Iron a sail

tcross.au

Im wondering if you are able to iron out the creases in your sail, I have an up coming regatta and am unable to get my new race sail in time and i only have my Trainer.

Would and iron work or would it stuff my sail, i wont be ironing my window so please dont try to flame me about it.

tcross.au said:
Im wondering if you are able to iron out the creases in your sail, I have an up coming regatta and am unable to get my new race sail in time and i only have my Trainer.

Would and iron work or would it stuff my sail, i wont be ironing my window so please dont try to flame me about it.

Dear tcross.au. The Laser Forum is where every sailor can discuss Laser sailing, without fear of being flamed.

In addition, I also think that ironing a sail would melt it because of the resin, but that raises the question. Do the heavy wrinkles in a sail that has been folded impair sailing performance, especially in light air?

sorry that is ment to say "i would not be ironing my window"

The sail had been folded for about 2 weeks improperly and now there are some bad creases in it that are not helping the performance. The diffrence is very subtle but i believe that turbulence is created slowing me down.
Bear in mind this is a trainer sail, it is my racer from 3 years ago but has only been used this year as a trainer, but is still fairly baggy. My racer is ripped beyond repair after a windy adventure.

If i was to use a Steam iron and not touch the sail, just hold it at a distance would this work?

Anything having to do with applying heat to a sail is bad for it. Just take it out and sail with it a few times. roll it in between and the creases should come out.

thanks for that,
that is one thing i have never tried with my laser, rolling sails. whenever you buy the sail it comes in its small sail bag to be folded into. I always have folded my laser sail. But my old pacer the way was rolling to preserve the bolt rope. Are there any perks to rolling?

Hi tcross.au,
I used to have a stretched sail as well and even I have the downhaul and outhaul lines tightened, there is still a big 'puff' near the luff of the sail.. It definitely affect one's performance if you are talking about racing. When I changed into a better sail, I could get an almost flat sail when lines are tightened.. something like a windsurf sail.. it makes one easier to sail and I think the airflow is definitely better....

And previously, I did think of ironing my old sail as well... very tempted to do so... but in the end, I didn't.. cos I have been told that even by placing your sail under direct hot sun is not good for it.. let alone under the mercy of iron!! And I don't think steam is of any help.. So, anyway is to dry it well before you fold it or roll it.. and just continue to use it until you can get hold of a better sail...

hope you find my comments useful... cheers...

Thanks for that,
The sail is not so baggy that im unable to remove lines from overtension, i am able to do this easilly. It is just that on lighter days, eg under 8knots, i am unable to pull on any tension because my boat would be too slow but if i dont then there are alot of creases visible and blocking airflow

Laser76489 said:
Sails don't iron well...but they do melt well. Yet another stupid thing I have done!!

There you have it from the voice of experience! Thank you for sharing. Just so we know, what setting did you have your iron on?

It's the same setting you use to leave an imprint in the carpet... I think it's called "On" or something like that

Seriously, if ironing was a good idea, every sailmaker would offer it as a go fast service... Use the iron on your cotton shirts/pants

Are there any perks to rolling?[/QUOTE]

Yes. No creases. That's your main concern right?

Err.. just to add some comments on iron settings... it does have range from minimum to maximum... with setting options like for silk, wool and cotton, etc.. but definitely none of the option is for resin... :p

Ironing is a bad idea. The best thing I can think of would be to wet the sail completely while laid out flat (or while sailing) and then hang it to dry so that the creases can come out naturally.

Back