Can I use a harken vang with a holt cunningham?

ryan199538

I just bought a brand new boat, and it comes with a holt vang. I like the harken vang better. I was thinking about buying the harken vang but, would i be able to use the holt cunningham that cane with my boat with my new harken vang?

On the vang, your are pretty much restricted to the OEM hardware from Holt or Harken. The rules allow for more flexibility with the cunningham, and you will see several different type of rigs if you look at different people's boats. Most folks buy their own blocks and line and fashion their own cunningham (within the limitations of the rules, of course).

No reason you can't mix your Holt cunningham and Harkin vang.

You are not restricted to Harken or Holt. You can use the original cleat block and add a few more modern blocks. I've got one rigged 10:1 and it works perfectly. Its got a single and a double small Ronstan blocks.

As others have said mixing a Harken vang with other manufacturers cunningham setups is fine. Just make sure you do not fall fould of the way you attach the blocks and do not have too many turning points of pieces of rope, the rules are quite convoluted on this.

Back