Cabarete, Dominican Republic

john w

I recently had he pleasure of vacationing in Cabarete, Dominican Republic and I strongly suggest that one adds it to a list of potential vacation sites. A beautiful Bay, plenty of wind, friendly natives, a wide selection of accomadations, easy to get to and relatively inexpensive when compared to the U. S. hotspots. Plenty of active participants and a very active, LONG beach with mountain views. Most excellent. The best part was finding the Laser Trainning Centre in Cabarete. Highly maintained Lasers, literally race ready, that can easily be beached launched and if you're with non-sailing friends/family you can leave them on the beach, under the palm trees on a safe, comfortable beach with food service. Cabarete is a low-key "t-shirt, shorts, and sandals" kind of place The only problem is that you can't drive to it. If you could, you'd be there several times a year. There is nothing like this in the states, the Bahamas. Once you're in Cabarete (twenty minutes from the Puerto Plata Airport) you won't need a car! Everything is walking distance (unless you want to get in the mountains) l I'll be back (and frequently I hope) John W Tallahassee, FL

John

Do they have a web address for this place or can you post more info on it...It would appear that I have agreed to go on a winter holiday in 2007...not sure how that happened but if I could get some boat time I can turn it into a win win.

Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance

I should have included www.caribwind.com is the Laser Center. We stayed at the Velero Beach Resort (300 yards up the beach), a relatively small 40 or so room apartment hotel that I have only good things to talk about. I don't recall the specific address, but it can be googled. Regards, John

One hates to say not in my back yard, but in this case, the Dominican, and specifically Cabarete (laser training centre etc) is beyond ideal, in fact five laser folks have acquired places there over the past year or so; that pretty well sums it up.....a three hour inexpensive flight from New York; a six hour flight from either Vancouver, Edmonton or five from Toronto.....28 degree annual average temperature, with breezes that the globe cannot touch; food that is fresh and people that are so easy going that you just get mello!...that is until you ride another roller wave.....the kite surfing, wind surfing, mountain biking, river rafting, hiking in the mountains (most mountainous in the Caribbean) are all totally outstanding........the Canadian team eats it up down there every winter of late......see www.carib.com and once there, it is incredibly economical for accomodation, food etc. ......and beyond that the golf is phenomenal, and real estate prices are a steal to anywhere in the world....have I said you should all go there?......the last three years Mid Winter Caribbean laser champs have been outstanding-look forward to the find of your laser/golfer/hiker/horsebackrider/cycler life....I just hate it there.

Back