By the lee

Kevin Pierce

Recent posting on mainsheet length prompts this question:

In sailing a Sunfish by the lee, I know the airflow reverses over the sail and telltales flow toward the mast, but I've never let the boom out past 90 degrees. Some of the mainsheet-length responses indicated that extra sheet was needed so the boom could be extended farther.

Should the boom go past 90 degrees when sailing by the lee?

Kevin

The standard for all sailboats is not to let go the boom passed 90 degrees. With Sunfish's Lateen sail I don't know if it is different. It seem to me that letting go the sail further than right angle would cause lost of power. Let's see what the experts will say!

It depends on the situation. Sometimes it is helpful to let the boom out a little further than 90 degrees. For example while racing to avoid having to jibe when the wind is shifting and threatening to auto jibe your sail right before a mark rounding. I don't let it out much further than an additional 5 degrees though. There may be times that it is tactically beneficial to do the same; for example to stay on starboard tack to retain right of way over a bunch of port tack boats. If I don't have a mark or other boats to worry about, I usually let the sail out no further than 90 degrees and jibe when wind shifts dictate.

When "running", is there any advantage to keeping the boom to starboard? (Conventional gooseneck assembly and not racing).

Porpoise2 said:
When "running", is there any advantage to keeping the boom to starboard? (Conventional gooseneck assembly and not racing).
The short answer is no. On a run the direction of the wind and the direction that you wish to sail should determine the tack that you choose. On a run the difference between starboard and port tack is not that significant, even in a breeze. On the other hand going upwind in a strong breeze there is a more significant difference between port and starboard tack. With the sail effectively reduced in size by the mast on port tack, it can be much easier to keep the boat flat going upwind in strong wind on port tack than on starboard.

Thanks.

I didn't really have a follow-up question, but wouldn't it be a slick racing trick to run the halyard down the "wrong" side of the sail to reduce the effective sail area in strong winds? :)

(If legal). :(

Or just in strong winds for recreational sailing? :confused:

Actually, running the halyard down the "wrong" side of the sail has been advocated as a depowering scheme, and by somebody who campaigned successfully to make it class-rules legal:

3.7.4 The halyard may be led down the mast on either side of the sail.

Former NA champ Paul Odegaard calls it "The Odie" rig. The halyard breaks up the otherwise full, starboard tack sail just like the mast does on port tack, helping to depower the rig.

Kevin

"On a run the difference between starboard and port tack is not that significant, even in a breeze."

Well, if you believe Neil, believe the above. If you believe Eduardo Cordero, 7 or 8 time world champ, the answer is it does make a difference, and you should try and stay on starboard (and yes you can sheet out past 90 degrees) to use the extra power starboard generates downwind. Look at your telltales and try to get them flowing towards the mast. Sometimes this means sheeting it to less than 90 degrees even when by the lee. BB

I believe Eduardo, but I also can't hold the boat down on starboard in really heavy air...LOL
He's a master of heavy air sailing. I either sheet way in, death roll, or give up and run on port.

beldar boathead said:
"Well, if you believe Neil, believe the above. If you believe Eduardo Cordero, 7 or 8 time world champ, the answer is it does make a difference, and you should try and stay on starboard (and yes you can sheet out past 90 degrees) to use the extra power starboard generates downwind. Look at your telltales and try to get them flowing towards the mast. Sometimes this means sheeting it to less than 90 degrees even when by the lee. BB

It is not a matter of who you "believe." The question was specifically not related to racing. If the question had been related to racing I would have answered differently. Recreational sailors generally don’t want to know if one tack is slightly faster than the other. Read a little closer next time.

I've raced against Eduardo several times and he is faster than me (and everyone else) no matter what point of sail or tack I am on. He is very talented. I’ve watched in amazement as he has sailed right by me on a run---same direction, same tack, same wind, same waves, but different skills.

I read it more carefully. Kevin's original post does not mention whether he is talking rec sailing or racing. BB

Porpoise2 said:
I think this makes it clear, especially with him quoting the same quote, that he was not refering to racing.

I normally try and keep the boom to starboard, racing or not, just because it becomes habit. And good habits have helped me make a lot of quick decisions right while racing.

One thing I've noticed is that when sailing by the lee in waves, the bow is not nearly so apt to bury. So often when surfing down a wave and heading into the trough I sail down and not up to get past the next wave.

Back