Buying used - signs of a hard life...

AndyG

Hi all,

I know most of the typical signs that a Laser may have had a hard life: inspection ports, soft deck, plenty of dings, end-for-ended mast etc etc. However, do you think foil paintwork wear is a good sign? The boat I am looking at (not in the flesh, just pictures) looks in reasonable condition for a 2004/5 boat, but the foils have that wide strip of bare yellow on the trailing edges where the paint has been worn away, presumably by drag in the water? I guess i'd typically associate that with a heavily-used boat. I have no reason to believe the foils are from an older boat and they are not beaten up. Some much older boats I've seen don't have this wear to the paint on the foils. Owner says the boat is hardly used, but also notes it was used at competition level, so it could have been sailed hard even though it is generally good cosmetically. Any thoughts on this? Of course, I can respray the foils, but that's not the point. Seems odd that the paint on the foils has worn like this.

Yeah, I did wonder that too. Why would someone do this? I doubt much if any performance gain would be had. It's not class legal either is it?

EDIT: actually, I suppose it could reduce hum and improve speed. I guess it's a sign it was campaigned....?

Last edited:
There was a conflict in theory between whether to sand foils to a fine point or to square off the trailing edge. I would suggest that a previous owner was of the fine edge view. I'm pretty sure that this was not illegal.

Seems to me that if a previous owner was thoughtful enough to consider these conflicting views and make a personal decision, then the boat will have been well cared for and looked after. I'd go for it. (My boat also has trailing edges sanded down by a previous owner).

It is legal to sand the trailing each to sharpen it but only so far in from that edge. Further, it is legal to refinish the boards with the usual proviso. Read the class rules to confirm exactly what you are permitted to do. Rules 14.(b) & (c) and Rule 15.(b) & (c)

Last edited:
i have a 2008 and its worn down were it rubs the hull and friction pad. i dont think its a big deal

If it is the trailing edge and it is uniform then it has almost certainly been faired to improve the trailing edge.

As long as it complies as specified by AlanD above then there is no issue.

The 'yellow' showing through on the leading edge is a sign that it has just worn against the hull in use. You can reduce this by putting a small piece of the loop side of velcro at the front of the daggerboard trunk.

No only at the top front edge of the daggerboard trunk and then the size is limited. It does make a big different though I find.

Thanks for your input everyone. Seeing the foils in person cleared up any questions I had - they had been finely sanded just to remove the paint finish on the trailing edges. The profile had not been changed, so they are legal - they are also in my possession as I bought the boat! I'm now the proud owner of a Laser. Apart from the typical superficial scratches and scrapes, it is in great condition. Bailer needs fixing, but that's it.

Back