Buy this boat?

0dylan

Should I buy this boat? I really want to get into lasers, but I weigh 120 lb.

2002 Laser (not sure about hull; probably solid; takes great care of it )

Carbon Tiller ext.
Blades
Full and Radial Rig
Seitech Dolly
Trailer for transporting
1 practice sail
1 new racing sail

$4500

Includes Lessons from Olympian John Myrdal

I think it's a great deal. My dad isn't so sure.

Doesn't sound to bad, you don't say if it has a carbon tiller. Does it have extra lines, any covers? For me the price is a big steep for all that, for a 2002 boat, if it has no covers and no carbon tiller.

The thing that matters overall is the quality of the boat and everything that comes with it. Just remember that once you buy the boat, you will probably have to buy other stuff, (lines, sail, what ever..) and might have to fix the boat. For an extra $50, you might be able to find a PERFECT boat, but if this one is good, go for it

A couple of questions - not 'cos I'm looking for the answers but to maybe help you clarify what you are getting and how useful it is.

You say Full and radial rigs then you say one practice and one new racing sail. Is one of the sails (e.g. old practice) the radial and the other (e.g. new racing) the full rig one. Or are there actually 4 sails practice standard and radial and new race radial and standard. If only two sails are they one standard and one radial or e.g. both standard (which might be less useful for you at the moment and you might then need to find a Radial sail).

With your current weight how useful do you think the standard rig would be ?

I have no idea about teachers and lessons but one thought is that you might learn more from somebody who has less race success but is an experienced teacher than from somebody who has loads of successes but has never taught (please don't take that as a comment about John Myrdal or anybody else - just a thought).

Does it include the new (XD) higher purchase kicker/cunningham/outhaul or does it have the older setup.

Does it include top and bottom covers (personally I always use both but in particular a bottom cover when trailing). What about spar carriers ?

What else would you need to go out and buy to start using it. e.g. a light board to trail it (or do you have one or does it include one), spare trailer wheel (I always take one with me) - things like that.

Remember, if you decide this is not the right boat for you there will be others - Lasers are not rare. I'm not suggesting it is or is not (no idea about 2nd hand prices in Europe let alone the US)

Ian

I found my perfect boat. Light blue 03, With everything. Covers, carbon tiller+ext for way less than that. I weigh 120 as well. You just need to learn to hike. Get your upper body out there.

Assuming the gear is in good shape (almost good as new):

Carbon Tiller ext. = $100

Blades = $600
Full and Radial Rig = $980
Seitech Dolly = $400
Trailer for transporting = (depends how fancy)
1 practice sail = $200
1 new racing sail = $500

TOTAL = $2780 (without trailer or hull)

So you are getting lessons, a trailer, and a hull for $1720, (the rest of the stuff above you'd have to buy anyway). Does it come with all the rigging? That would be worth something as it would be set up nicely by someone who knows what they are doing. Doesn't sound like a bad deal to me if you were buying a normal boat used in a few regattas over 5 years, but it sounds like you are buying a boat that could have been heavily used by "Olympian John Myrdal" since 2002, so it might have some more wear and tear on it that could lower the price.

yes, it comes with covers. thanks everybody. I can hike flat out for 6 - 7 min. My dad wants to sail the boat too, he's 160. the full would be good for him too. the 2 sails are for full.

now what? still no? I think I might wait it out now. It's just that there are few lasers to buy in Hawaii. Everyone just got theirs a few years ago from the cressy. I missed out there.

It comes with new rigging; vang and cunn. and outhaul all new.

Also, I currently take classes from Jesse Andrews, an all american in fjs. He teaches at the University. John Myrdal just threw in the lessons because it hasn't been selling the past few months.

yo is your name dylan? mine is too i would suggest going for a lower price, try to get it as low as it can go without being jewish, sorry to all the laser sailing jewish ppl, but i think it is worth it especially if you and your dad are going to sail it will last alot longer than my peice 'o crap 96 but all the stuff it has is worth it and tell your dad your lucky you live in Hawaii i love sailing there. And if you make it to Cresse in Seattle ill see you there

ok. thanks a bunch guys. I still have to talk to my parents about it; $4500 is a lot of money no matter how you look at it. I'll go see the boat next friday and check hull strength and water tightness. 3k sounds good; not so hard on the wallet or ears.

@ I break things- cool. I don't think I'm going this year; qualifiers are packed for kids from hawaii. No more room.

@Ross- Yeah.

Don't forget to add the cost of a Radial sail (as you would probably want to buy one as, at 120 lbs I would think a standard might be a bit too much) - which adds to the total price you need to pay.

It is how much you need to spend in total to get what you want that is important, not how much you are paying this person for the bits he is providing.

Ian

My parents bought it for me!!! It's more than ridiculous. It's almost brand new. 05 dark blue. Superb condition with two sets of blades (one set never used), Black Diamond Tiller, Acme fatso EXT., Radial and Full racing sails, full and radial bottom sections, new vang, outhual, downhaul, rooster mainsheet, (X2, extra rooster mainsheet), padded seitech hiking strap, velcro clew tie down, shackle at clew, extra pair of gloves, seitech dolly, brand new top cover, storm bottom cover. It's really fast. I love it.

Thanks everyone!

Just one question.

Silly sort of, but what exactly do hiking pants do to help you?

They stop the corner of the gunwale jabbing into your legs and cutting off the supply of blood to your brain. Many older sailors suffer from "gunwale blindness", because they never had hiking pants as children. You'll often see them bumping into marks, colliding with competitors and blindly arguing against the use of Intensity practice sails at national regattas.

They stop the corner of the gunwale jabbing into your legs and cutting off the supply of blood to your brain. Many older sailors suffer from "gunwale blindness", because they never had hiking pants as children. You'll often see them bumping into marks, colliding with competitors and blindly arguing against the use of Intensity practice sails at national regattas.

Thanks Chainsaw; I sort of felt those collisions were my parents' fault, but now I am certain.

PS for Odylan: Hiking pants protect your bottom from a rash and/or blisters (aka 'rail tail') and really do help you to hike better due to the battens in the back of the pants. Fit is very important. There have been other discussions on this topic; you can use the 'Search' function to find out more.

Back