Bris dolly for a Sunfish?

nworbekim

I'm in the market for a Sunfish dolly and ran across this dolly searching for something less expensive than a new Dynamic or Seitech dolly. The Bris dolly is half the price of a Seitech / Dynamic dolly although it may be heavier due to the stainless steel tubing. Has anyone used this dolly for your sunfish?

Regards
Mike

When see the word bris I think about something very different than boat dollies….

Seriously though, the geometry of it looks way off from what would be needed to move your Sunfish around. The fromt strap would need to go, the front post sawed down, and a place for the bow to rest needs to be added.

I’m still wondering about the Bris brand name….

Check out this current thread on this site. I have posted how to make a two wheel beach dolly using a few dollars at Home Depot. Post #28

Check out this current thread on this site. I have posted how to make a two wheel beach dolly using a few dollars at Home Depot. Post #28

Hi @Nicholson58 - yes I read the thread before posting. I'm looking for something similar to the Dynamic/Seitech dolly at a lower price point.

I'm in the market for a Sunfish dolly and ran across this dolly searching for something less expensive than a new Dynamic or Seitech dolly. The Bris dolly is half the price of a Seitech / Dynamic dolly although it may be heavier due to the stainless steel tubing. Has anyone used this dolly for your sunfish?

Regards
Mike
It might work fine. FWIW, I modified my Dynamic because it was not perfect IMHO. It was literally drilling two holes but the Bris might not take that much modification either. Just check your dims. I don’t see why the front strap would have to go.

It might work fine. FWIW, I modified my Dynamic because it was not perfect IMHO. It was literally drilling two holes but the Bris might not take that much modification either. Just check your dims. I don’t see why the front strap would have to go.
Hi @Cascadian505

I'm not shy about using the angle grinder/cutoff wheel :)

If you have time, would you send me dimensions of your Dynamic dolly? What did you change when you modified it?

I'm looking for these dimensions to compare with the BRIS:
  • clearance between wheels
  • rear sling width from inside of supports
  • height of rear sling support above axle,
  • distance from rear axle to keel support,
  • distance from rear axle to front handle

Hi @Cascadian505

If you have time, would you send me dimensions of your Dynamic dolly? What did you change when you modified it?

I would be happy to do this but I am presently away from my home until early July. Can you wait?

As far as what I did to my Dynamic, it was nothing major. There is a black plastic elbow part that connects the long spine of the dolly with the part that goes up into the handle on the front. I just drilled a couple of small holes to feed a rope through from lower down to hold the bow DOWN into position on the dolly. The boat it so well balanced on the dolly the bow can bounce up too easily while moving the boat. So not a major modification.

I like the Dynamic a lot but I also was hesitant about the price. I decided to just buy it because I didn’t want to spend much time converting another dolly to work for the Sunny.

Here are the dimensions. I'm considering buying one to see if it will fit the Sunfish. If I do, I'll post pictures.

Attachments

• 611Mz4K+rTL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    611Mz4K+rTL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 50
Hi @Cascadian505

I'm not shy about using the angle grinder/cutoff wheel
:)

:( Use of the angle grinder/cutoff wheel is NOT recommended for a BRIS ! :eek: :eek:

That said, any drilling of material needs to be justified by the inadvisability to tie the appropriate knots or hitches. (Secure with resin).

I would be happy to do this but I am presently away from my home until early July. Can you wait?

As far as what I did to my Dynamic, it was nothing major. There is a black plastic elbow part that connects the long spine of the dolly with the part that goes up into the handle on the front. I just drilled a couple of small holes to feed a rope through from lower down to hold the bow DOWN into position on the dolly. The boat it so well balanced on the dolly the bow can bounce up too easily while moving the boat. So not a major modification.

I like the Dynamic a lot but I also was hesitant about the price. I decided to just buy it because I didn’t want to spend much time converting another dolly to work for the Sunny.
Hi,

I found an old Seitech dolly for a good price but it was used for a JY15. Would you send me the dimensions of your Dynamic dolly so I can think about whether I want to modify it?

Regards
Mike

Sorry about late reply. Distance between strap uprights is 49.5”.

Length of middle long bar from aft edge of axle to where the forward handle post angles up is 90”.

What other measurements do you need?

Attachments

• B7D04188-415E-492A-AD71-BB1C95D60666.jpeg
    B7D04188-415E-492A-AD71-BB1C95D60666.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 51
  • 776D965A-BB95-4E58-8D6F-42AF7C536227.jpeg
    776D965A-BB95-4E58-8D6F-42AF7C536227.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • F210E667-734F-4E4D-820B-1268A6729C85.jpeg
    F210E667-734F-4E4D-820B-1268A6729C85.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 49
  • A80B264C-5727-42CF-8DDF-83B5EF1DE350.jpeg
    A80B264C-5727-42CF-8DDF-83B5EF1DE350.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 46
I’ll have to get back to you because I put the boat back on the dolly. Will do, bear with me.
Hi @Cascadian505

Sling length is approximately 52”. Clearance between the wheels is about 50.5”. Height of sling support above axle is about 12.5”. Distance front rear axle to keel support is about 72”. Distance from axle to front handle is about 100”. Both pieces of the fore/aft running bar are about the same length.

That should be all you need to draw your conclusion if the JY dolly will work. I would think that is works, but the bow will need some support. That’s my guess. They JY is a larger boat, so the Sunny should fit in it.

Hope this helps!

Back