Breather hole

My laser doesn't have a breather hole could it be any where else on the boat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    971.3 KB · Views: 145
On every Laser I have ever owned (I believe I'm on #5), it has been on the forward cockpit just beneath where the mainsheet block and hiking strap attach. I can't imagine where else you could put it without the boat sinking.

Don't know why yours doesn't have one, but it would take two seconds to fix with a drill.

Looking at your picture, has there been some rework done on that part of the hull?

I don't think that it has one under the mainsheet block either as I replaced that only a few months ago and don't remember any holes except the screw hole. Would it be safe to drill a hole in the boat for a breather hole?

I don't think that it has one under the mainsheet block either as I replaced that only a few months ago and don't remember any holes except the screw hole. Would it be safe to drill a hole in the boat for a breather hole?

I don't see why not. However, let me clarif. When I said "beneath the mainsheet block", I didn't mean RIGHT beneath. It would be on the forward cockpit wall as shown in your picture, towards the top.

You may find the boat has been refursbshed and the hole filled as part of that process. I would drill a small hole, no more than 5mm diameter there. For positioning find another Laser and measure it as there are other bits directly behind there so drilling in the wrong place could cause you problems.

the breather hole is important, you should leave your stern plug out if you don't have one otherwise the hull may create it's own breather in the gunwale...

when you drill the hole, its usually easier to put a piece of tape on the gel coat so that it resists cracking

How doesnt water get into the hull from this hole if you capsize or any water sloshing around in the cockpit. I always leave the bung out when on shore

How doesnt water get into the hull from this hole if you capsize or any water sloshing around in the cockpit. I always leave the bung out when on shore

The opening is small and up high in the cockpit, so it would be hard to slosh water into the cockpit. I suppose it could leak in if the cockpit were 100% full, but that hasn't happend to me even after submarining the bow. When capsized, either on its side or turtled, the hull is buyoant enough that the breather hole isn't below water.

I can tell you one thing that IS a problem. If you leave the boat on a trailer with the tongue down, the bailer close, and it start to rain, the cockpit WILL fill up and the breather hole WILL leak.

My old Laser 24877 didn't have one either. There were no signs of repair work inside or outside of this area. The hole would have to be drilled after the cockpit is moulded, so it seems that sometimes manufacturers either omit or forget to do this.

Yes, drilled a hole.
Otherwise, on a hot day the air inside the boat expands, then when you launch the air cools and contracts. The contraction can cause cracking along the deck - hull seam, and tends to suck water in, such as through the lower rudder pintle bolts.

It's very easy to drill the hole; the fibreglass is relatively soft and not very thick. I used a 1/16" bit, as this looked about right after inspecting other boats.
It would be good if a Laser hull manufacturer explained what they use.

My hull has an 1/8" breather hole. US made 1989. I think a 1/16" hole would get clogged with those nefarious substances that lurk in Laser hulls.

The smallest drill bit I have is a 4mm or about 1/6" I presume it wouldn't make much difference I will probably be drilling the hole today

4mm is perfect. Just one hint: Take care, during you drill the hole , that you don't drill in to deep. Reason: Not to far behind of the front cockpit wall, there, there is the rear wall of the centerboard trunk! So, just have a little sensible feeling with the driller, if you're through the cockpit wall, understand? It's a bit like with a virgin ... :D Happy Easter.

Back