Brant Beach 6/10

PMagnani

Brant Beach Yacht Club had to cancel todays regatta due to high winds. Fortunately everyone who payed the $40 before June 8th or the $50 dollars today received their T-shirt! A $40-$50 T-shirt! Outstanding quaility too.....Hanes I think....

BBYC did not offer the option of giving a refund to those who could not participate in tomorrow's potential make-up day. You can be sure those that travel and support "away" regattas often, as I do, will hear about the potential monetary loss they might take on should they think about events there - so I'm out $40 and a 1/2 tank of gas and my boat didn't even touch the water! But I did get the t-shirt......

Kudos Brant Beach organizers - good luck growing the Sunfish class at this event !

They better pray for sailable air for next years NA's!

Other than that, it was great.

How windy was it? The weather station for LBI on Weather Underground only showed it as gusting in the 25-30 knot range. Surely they didn't cancel sailing in a decent breeze like that?

It was honking - probably 25 sustained - the windsurfers that were out were moving at blazing speeds....and it cost them nothin'!

In light of today’s high cost of travel and in consideration for the time investment of regatta participants we believe there needs to be greater responsibility on the part of race organizers. We would like to see USSCA add an amendment governing the behavior of the regatta authorities. This would constitute a new set of rules for the assurance of participant satisfaction by mandating the assignment of a coordinator of regatta atmospheric position. It will be the job of the coordinator of regatta atmospheric position to prepare in advance for the prevailing meteorological factors. The USSCA will decide by committee the acceptable range of racing conditions and publish these in the yearly rules book. Regatta committees and regatta hosts will thereby be mandated to instruct the coordinator of regatta atmospheric position exactly the atmospheric and marine conditions that must prevail beginning one hour prior to and lasting until one hour after an event. It will be the responsibility of the coordinator of regatta atmospheric position to arrange with the powers that be to insure this happens. We strongly feel the establishment of such a rule will eliminate any future contest, protest, and dissatisfaction with race day elements. It will act to absolve all participants from taking any personal responsibility for natural randomness that may affect in their lives and their sailing on that day.

25 sustained? Perfect Sunfish weather. I don't even think about putting in a Jens rig unless it's over 30. So did you go out and blast around with those windsurfers? At least you would have had some fun for all your time and expense.

If it was just the 25, I might have but the gusts were much higher. Two lasers went out for fun and only one came back. A Sunfish went out as well with a reef rig and it came back in quickly.

I do not disagree with their decision not to sail, but rather the fact they did not offer a refund. Had they run the races and I decided not to sail, then fine, it was my choice.

I heard they are offering a 50% discount for next year - but they'll probably charge $80!

Hopefully the 2007 North Americans will be more forgiving in the event of high winds.

I'm over it now....!

Early reminder - October 14th South Jersey Sunfish Championship Cooper River YC - Collingswood NJ - 11:30a skippers meeting 12n start - $20-

PMagnani said:
If it was just the 25, I might have but the gusts were much higher. Two lasers went out for fun and only one came back. A Sunfish went out as well with a reef rig and it came back in quickly.

I do not disagree with their decision not to sail, but rather the fact they did not offer a refund. Had they run the races and I decided not to sail, then fine, it was my choice.

I heard they are offering a 50% discount for next year - but they'll probably charge $80!

Hopefully the 2007 North Americans will be more forgiving in the event of high winds.

I'm over it now....!

A 50% refund would seem reasonable considering that the organizers must have spent funds.

But what happened to the other Laser? I know that dying on a Laser is better than in a nursing home, but that only applies to old folks (like me).

Back