Boot Choices

Discussion in 'Laser Talk' started by TimClark, Apr 23, 2006.

1. TimClark

TimClark New Member

Well, I have decided to go with the Zhik boots and the Zhik Hiking strap...It sounds like a good system that is worth giving a try. Except, I don't know what boots to get. I was thinking about the Max Support 400 Boot, however I am worrying that the Zhik material doesn't go down far enough on the toe. So I was also considering the Ankle Boot 100 because the material goes all the way down to the toe, and it is a reasonable price. However, I am worried that it won't give me enough support. Any opinions from those few people that have used the boots or ankle boots in general would be awesome. Thanks.

2. TimClark

TimClark New Member

Anybody???

3. TimClark

TimClark New Member

There has to have been somebody that has sailed with ankle boots before...Please any advice is wanted on Ankle Boots/Zhik Hiking boot question.

4. Radial 171107

Radial 171107 New Member

What are 'ankle boots' anyway? I'd go for the zhiks anyway,1. they're aussie 2. they look good and 3. they sound like a good boot

5. Sarah B

Sarah B New Member

If 'ankle boots' are those which don't come up over your ankle bone, but stop below then I use them. I have not had any problems and find they protect my feet (I would rather sail barefoot) without being cumbersome . The only bit they don't protect is when you are in medium conditions in and out of the toe strap. When you are like this and not wearing long leggings, the toe strap can irritate the top of your ankle. But if you have tough skin, strong ligaments, then ankle booties should be just fine.

6. TimClark

TimClark New Member

Ankle boots are what Sarah described they go up to right below the ankle bone. I am wondering if I shoul get the Ankle Zhik boots or the Max Support Zhik boots.

7. Isosceles

Isosceles New Member

If you are still considering at this point, my two cents are to go for the Aigle Maramu. Best sailing boot money can buy. I have a pair and they are amazing. You can put a wet-suit sock in when it gets cold and they're very warm, or nothing when the water is warmer or you don't plan on getting water over the top eyelet. Also, the hiking support and grip are phenomenal. Just make sure you get the right size! Probably better to err on the smaller side as they seem to fit a bit big. Anyways, good luck with whatever you pick.

8. mee168

mee168 New Member

Hi, I know I may be abit out. Just want to share with all that I am not using the normal sailing boot.
    Instead, I am using watershoes from Adidas. Ankles are exposed so it forces you to hike from your toes.... A very simple slip-on shoes, no zip, no extra paddings... but offer a comfortable foot grip

9. TimClark

TimClark New Member

Due to how backed up the Zhiks are/going to be, I decided to go with the Maramu's...Thanks everyone for the help and advice.

10. Mullet Time!

Mullet Time! Member

get the aigle marramu's. I use a zihk hiking strap and they stick to it good. my first real hiking boots were the plastic Gill ones with no neoprene in them and i wore those down hardcore..but they were also discontinued so i couldn't get new ones. i wanted new ones but the neoprene ones have NO support whatsoever. so i ordered the aigle maramus and their killer.

11. Saltydog

Saltydog New Member

Hey guys
    Personally my fav choice would have to be the zhik strap with the zhik 200 boots. But I know lots of my mates hate wearing boots. Luckily for them zhik has come up with some pretty wicked boot-like apparel for them to wear [​IMG]. Have a look
    Also Zhik has all their new product range just released today. Check it out.

Hope it helped
    Cheers
    Salty

12. MScott

MScott Member

no question, these are the best:

[​IMG]

13. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Well, maybe I can win a few by diverting the enemy.

Attached Files:

14. TimClark

TimClark New Member

Nice way to punch a hole in the cockpit. :D

15. Merrily

Merrily Administrator Staff Member

Not if I'm hiking! I'll put rubber soles on 'em, just in case.

16. TimClark

TimClark New Member

hahaha, have fun with that. LOL

17. fishingmickey

fishingmickey Member

Woohoo Merrily,
    Those kickers will keep those barging sailors away at the start and just let some port tacker think he can cross in front of you.... That stiletto heel and pointy toe look like they should be registered as deadly weapons....
    Fishingmickey
    150087/181157