boom eyelet

jbd214

My plastic boom eyelet for holding the main sheet between the blocks broke. I wanted to replace it but when ordering online, I was told it was out of stock and it didn't sound like they would be getting replacements any time soon. I went into another store. My choices were an old metal one, which the salesman advised me against or a new strap that goes around the boom and has to have a new hole drilled on top to accommodate it. I ended up buying the new strap but haven't installed it yet. I am not enthusiastic about putting an extra hole into the boom. I think I also read that a block has to be removed to attach the strap.

What are the options and what should I do?

First of all, don't drill any new holes. I have seen people fashion straps out of duct tape that last for years.

I believe that 49208 said it first: 'Welcome to the new World of LP'

On another note, you want to replace the plastic strap with a soft one. Yes, it's legal.
The plastic one almost killed me two years ago (exaggerating a bit here, but there was blood on my face).

You can easily make your own strap, from either a piece of webbing or a piece of line (Find some double braid, and use just the outer core, it will flatten nicely, is soft etc) . Re-use the existing rivet holes.

Back