books on sunfish

My recommendation is to get a copy of the Sunfish Bible. It's available through the class off link on this site and includes both the books, plus Derrick Fries book, and loads of interviews and articles.

Pieter,

If your grandkids know how to sail, the SFBible would be fine. If not, a more basic book on sailing would be better.

WaveDancer, would you give an example of a more basic book on sailing with the idea of teaching a young and new sailor about wind, sail position like haul, close haul, reach, run.....about, jibe...

I am about to begin teaching my daughter and it has been a long while since I have been on a sunny or any other sailboat.

Reds659

There is a very old book on sailing, geared mostly to sloops, that is written in the form of a sailing course. It contains chapters on sailing terms, boat parts and sailing to all points of wind. It also covers some of the basics of racing. Again, it is geared to sloops, not the Sunfish, but the information is good and basic. The name of the book is "Invitation to Sailing" by Alan Brown. It can be picked up in paperback online from the major book dealers, under "used-out of print" for a couple of bucks and the hard cover edition for about $5.

WaveDancer, would you give an example of a more basic book on sailing with the idea of teaching a young and new sailor about wind, sail position like haul, close haul, reach, run.....about, jibe...

I am about to begin teaching my daughter and it has been a long while since I have been on a sunny or any other sailboat.
Sailing for Dummies (Isler & Isler) has been getting good reviews. About $15 at amazon.com

www.amazon.com/Sailing-Dummies-Spor...3980113?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194053215&sr=8-3

Thanks Scap114 and W.D. I just ordered 'Invitation To Sailing" and will be going to borders to preview "Sailing For Dummies" Thanks again for the suggested readings.

Back